chapter twenty-nine.

Lilith.

"Nox," Lilith whispered, the light at the end of her wand going out as she pressed herself against the wall.

There were voices coming down the corridor. Students. Probably prefects doing their late night patrol.

They passed by, not noticing Lilith. She let out a breath of relief before whispering a quick "Lumos" to light up her wand again.

And she started back in her journey to Dumbledore's office.

"Chocolate skeletons," Lilith whispered when she got to the entrance to Dumbledore's office. She glanced both ways down the corridor, tightening her cloak hood as the stairs started forming.

She climbed the stairs and knocked on his door. "Come in," Dumbledore said, and she pushed the door open.

When the door was closed behind her, and she made sure no one else was in the room, she took her hood off.

"Ah, Ms. Snape," Dumbledore said from his desk. "How have you been doing?"

"Decent," Lilith lied. "I don't want to have conversation about what I've been doing. I just came here to ask you a simple question. You know that."

"I do."

"Okay," Lilith said. "Do you think they believed you?"

"Believing is such an incredible thing, and so are words. And, though I am not as good at reading the room as I used to be, I don't see why they didn't believe it."

"Good."