chapter 7

𝐜𝐡

𝐜𝐡. 𝟕: 𝐡𝐞𝐥𝐢𝐨𝐧

"He's Helion, Bri." Levi interjected. I gave him a look before bursting out into laughter. Dad and Levi exchanged looks and I forced myself to suppress my giggles.

"He is who, now?"

"High Lord of the-"

"Day Court, yes I know," I cut off Levi rolling my eyes, "Alright, joke's over. What did you need to tell me?"

A sudden burst of golden-white light sent my brain into a tumbling mess of confusion and my jaw dropped open. The light subsided to reveal my father still sitting on the edge of the coffee table but with one hand outstretched.

"Yeah, I'm out," the words escaped me before I even realized it and I stood up to leave, not really knowing where I would go and not entirely sure if I wanted to leave anyway. I felt someone, probably Levi, gently push my shoulders to make me sit back down on the couch. I didn't protest.

"Would you like me to explain it to you?" I heard my dad, Helion, ask.

"I don't think there's anyone else who can." A throat cleared next to me and I turned to face my brother, "Levi, you'll get bored five minutes into your explanation and then tell me to go ask dad because you're hungry or you want to sleep."

"Priorities," Levi shrugged.

"Yeah, no thanks," I scoffed, leaning back in my seat to get more comfortable, "Well then, oh great High Lord of the Day Court, please enlighten me."

• ☼ •

Dad thought that the living room was 'inappropriate' and 'too informal' for the conversation we were about to have so, with much protesting, I reluctantly followed him to his study. Levi decided to abandon us after announcing that he was going to sleep and to wake him up for dinner.

I could count on one hand the number of times I had been inside my father's office despite having lived in the same house for most of my life. I was always surprised when I entered the room because in my mind, it was a dark and depressing cave that fueled his inner workaholic.

The study was brightly lit yet still had a professional air to it. Against one wall there were tall bookcases filled with files and books that I would probably find uninteresting instead of fascinating (my father is weird like that). In one corner of the room I noticed a couch that looked quite comfortable. The off-white pillows scattered across it's seat were a welcome invitation to a much needed nap. Sunlight streamed through the handful of windows behind my father's desk giving the whole room an unexpected warmth.

My father took a seat behind his desk as I took the seat across from him. My chair was one of those rolly ones and it took all of my self restraint to not start spinning around in circles.

The silence that encased the room gave me the urge to start fidgeting uncomfortably in my seat so I trapped my hands underneath my legs and forced myself to look at my father.