chapter 3

𝐜𝐡

𝐜𝐡. 𝟑: 𝐭𝐚𝐥𝐤 𝐚𝐛𝐨𝐮𝐭 𝐚 𝐭𝐫𝐚𝐬𝐡 𝐟𝐚𝐢𝐫𝐲 𝐠𝐨𝐝𝐦𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫

"You're joking," Lucien said quietly, "That scrawny thing brought down Andras with a single ash arrow?"

"She admitted to it," Tamlin replied with an edge to his voice. A claw slid out as he traced the rim of his goblet with a finger. The talon scraped against the metal and I watched Feyre fight to keep a strong exterior but could still see the fear in her eyes. Her breath hitched when Tamlin added, "She didn't try to deny it."

Lucien's mood worsened as he continued to speak and I wondered if me stepping in would be like a butterfly effect and cause a series of events in the book to drastically change. Just being here probably affected a ton of events so I didn't hesitate to step in when my brother's tone began to rise.

"Anyway," Lucien said. I could feel hostility rolling off of him in waves as he faced Tam with a sneer, "Perhaps there's a way to-"

"Lu," I silently pleaded with him when I called his name softly, "Please calm down."

Lucien stiffened and sent me a brief, apologetic glance as he hopped off the edge of the table. He gave Feyre a deep bow that was borderline mocking. "My apologies, lady." I sighed at the insincerity in his tone. "I'm Lucien. Courtier and emissary." He gestured to Feyre with a flourish and I lowered my head to hide my amusement, "Your eyes are like stars, and your hair like burnished gold."

A beat, and then I felt three pairs of eyes slide to me. "Oh, sorry," I said remembering that I had yet to introduce myself to Feyre although I already knew her. "I'm Briella. Queen and home invader." Feyre's eyes widened and I grinned, "I'm only joking, I just live here."

Lucien turned his attention back to Feyre and cocked his head. I leaned forwards and rested my chin on my hands with the best "welcome" expression I had on my face. The two males were freaking Feyre out and I was going to do my best to combat that.

"Her name is Feyre," Tam said once he realized Feyre wasn't going to introduce herself. He turned to her, "Alis will take you to your room. You could use a bath and fresh clothes."

I winced and wondered how it was even possible for Feyre to come to like Tamlin. This version of the high lord was so incredibly demanding and the comments about needing a bath and fresh clothes were just rude. I knew the chances of Tamlin going alpha male on me were low because of an incident early on in my stay at Rosehall. The phrase "asserting your dominance" works surprisingly well and once I had done just that, Tam had gotten off my back.

Lucien's voice shook me out of my thoughts and I realized Feyre had left the room."Dump the girl somewhere, kill her, I don't care she's nothing but a burden here. She'd sooner put a knife in your back than talk to you or any of us."