chapter 9

𝐜𝐡

𝐜𝐡. 𝟗: 𝐝𝐨 𝐢 𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐲 𝐰𝐚𝐭𝐜𝐡 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐦𝐚𝐧𝐲 𝐦𝐨𝐯𝐢𝐞𝐬?

"I can't believe you brought your sister here." Rhysand gave Levi a judgemental look to which my brother only shrugged at.

"She would've found her way here even if I has locked her in her room," Levi sighed, "Trust me, you do not want her to come in, guns blazing, and-"

"Dude, I'm literally right here," I huffed in annoyance, "You're telling me you didn't even want to bring me with you?"

"Aw Bri, don't give me that," Levi reached over to ruffle my hair and I swatted him away. "You know I love you, you little psycho."

"Yeah, uh huh, sure."

Rhysand laughed at that and continued leading us down the dark corridor he had ushered us into. Although I didn't really have a reason to distrust Rhys, I couldn't help the uneasiness that grew with every step I took. I suppose my nerves could be blamed on the fact that we were walking into the heart of Amarantha's lair but some part of me felt that there was something else.

Levi seemed to believe that wherever we were going was safe so if we end up dead, I'll kill him.

"Hey Batman, you're not planning to pull a Lando Calrissian on us, are you?" I blurted out suddenly. I heard a quiet sigh and saw Levi with a hand over his face out of the corner of my eye. Rhysand turned back to me, with furrowed brows and a strange expression.

"What is a Lando Calissian?"

"It's Lando Calrissian, and he's a kind of but not really a traitor. What I'm trying to ask is if you're planning on turning us over to Carrot Head because if the answer is 'yes' it would be much appreciated if you at least gave us a heads up."

"I do not understand you at all, Little Sun."

"With no due respect Mr. High Lord, your nickname skills are terrible."

Rhysand shook his head at me and looked at Levi with a face I can only describe as a what-the-fuck-is-wrong-with-her face. Levi shrugged in response and I let out my quietest cackle.

• ☼ •

After walking for what felt like an eternity, Rhysand came to a stop in front of a plain-looking door at the end of a hallway a little off to the side. It certainly didn't look like a dungeon or a place where we would find Amarantha, so I decided that the High Lord could be trusted for now. Under normal circumstances, I would have no problem with the overgrown bat, but we were Under the Mountain and if I'm being completely honest, Rhysand was not exactly Prince Charming in the first book.

If he attempts to pimp me out, I'll kick his ass.

"This is where I leave you," Rhysand gestured to the door and gave Levi a meaningful look.