Chapter 25 Sonia -Private

I grip Dante's hand tightly as he leads me towards the massive contemporary house on the beach.

What is this place? It's gorgeous.

We walk along a stone path that leads from the helicopter landing pad to the house. Lush greenery and fragrant flowers line the path.

"Dante, this spot is beautiful," I say. "I've never seen anything like it."

"This is my private island," he says. "It's the most secure piece of land I own. No one's coming in or out without me knowing about it."

A private island?

I've experienced many luxuries in my life but none such as this. The golden sun rises high in the sky, illuminating everything and making the beach sparkle. Dante's house looks like a gorgeous, modern beacon of light. It sits on a hill with the pristine, sandy beach stretching out all around it.

A part of me can't believe I'm here. It feels like the most luxurious vacation I could experience. But another piece is concerned about my family. My father and brothers will be worried about me by now. They'll be wondering if I did run away to Dante as those pictures would reveal.

Once we arrive inside the house, Dante leads me through a vast marbled foyer that's lit up by natural sunlight being fed through the many windows.

"Let me take you to your room," he says.

"My room?" I ask him, wondering how many nights will be spent with him and how many will be spent alone.

We walk through the large, magnificent home, eventually reaching a grand staircase. Modern art lines the walls lighted by a huge chandelier overhead.

"Your room is down here," Dante says at the top of the stairs. "Unless, of course, you want to sleep with me."

His statement hangs in the air between us. Do I want to sleep with him? It feels like the most natural thing to do. But I would be sleeping with the enemy, literally. Dante is my captor. He's the man I'm supposed to hate. But I feel myself falling for him with every moment we spend together.

"You think that we should share a room?" I ask nervously.

He stops me in the center of the hallway. "Sonia, I don't want to pressure you. But I think we both know where this is headed. I'm going to ravish you tonight. So you're going to be in my room anyway. It makes the most sense that you should put your things there."

A tight, nauseous sort of feeling overtakes my stomach. Dante does this to me. He causes me to have butterflies. Just the thought of spending the night with him makes me feel all sorts of emotions. Of course, I want to be with him. I want to spend every second with him. But I also know he's going to do things to my body. He's going to make me feel deep, sensual things that I won't be able to escape from.

I tighten my grip on his hand. "I want to stay with you," I say.

His eyes darken as they center on me. "Good," he replies. "I'll have Romano bring your things to my room as soon as he arrives. In the meantime, let me show you where you'll be staying."

He walks me down the long hallway until we get to a door at the end. This must be it. Then he leads me inside, where I suck in a breath of surprise because it's the most spectacular room I've ever seen with floor-to-ceiling windows that overlook the beach and all the tropical palm trees surrounding the property. It has a stunning view spanning the entire ocean and the pool below, as well as a wraparound terrace. The room has every amenity— an espresso bar, a fireplace, a flatscreen TV, and plush rugs, making the enormous room feel cozy. Even the king-sized bed doesn't take up too much space as it's anchored, centered beneath the coffered ceiling.

"This is beautiful," I tell Dante, my hand covering my mouth in astonishment.

"It's yours," he says. "I want you to feel comfortable here. Remember, you're not my hostage anymore. You can leave anytime you want."

I feel an odd kind of warmth trickle through my spine at his words. I know Dante is trying to make me feel comfortable. He's trying to erase our history of me being his captive and to put me at ease. And it makes me feel good that he's putting me first. But there's still the issue of my father. Somehow I have to make the situation right. I hate to think of what Daddy would do to Dante if they were ever in a room together. He'd kill him.

I walk over to Dante, and he pulls me in close, wrapping his arms around my waist. "I'm glad I chose to stay in this room with you," I murmur against him.

"Me too," he says.

"Being here with you makes everything seem like it's going to be okay."

I know that technically we're on the run. Dante is trying to outsmart the Gavino family, my family. But that doesn't mean that I don't feel safe here in his arms. As long as we're together, nothing can go wrong.