Chapter 40 Dante -Future

"What the fuck is happening?" I ask Romano, feeling irritated as ever.

There's nothing I hate more than to be interrupted during dinner, but something tells me what's happening outside is more than a mere interruption.

"They're here," he says. "It's Gavino and his men."

Fuck.

I should've known this would happen.

"How did they find our location?" I ask, walking through the house to my safe, which contains all my weapons.

"There's no telling how. But they're here, and they're armed."

A sickening feeling overwhelms me as I consider what exactly Leonio is here for. He wants Sonia. And the idea of losing her makes me feel ill in a new kind of way, a way that I've never felt before. Everything revolves around her. I need to protect her at all costs to make sure that she stays with me no matter what.

Just as I grab my Glock 17, Gavino's men swarm the house. They come in through the back of the house, which has open contemporary sliding glass pocket doors, allowing for indoor/outdoor living. And they infiltrate us from the side and the front of the house too. Somewhere, I can hear Ludovica screaming. My guys hold them off as best they can, but soon we're in a face-off with guns held on both sides.

From outside on the beach, Leonio walks in. He's a tall man, about 6'2, with graying black and white peppered-colored hair and brown eyes so dark they almost look black. His face is deeply lined like he's seen too many battles to count, and he's wearing a custom gray suit.

"Where's my daughter?" he asks, walking through the multitude of men that now occupy my beachside mansion.

I lower my gun as he approaches. I'm not going to kill Sonia's father here in my living room. I would never do that to her as much as I may want to.

"She's here, Gavino. But I won't allow you to take her with you. She's mine now. She wants to stay with me."

He chuckles darkly. "Yours? And just what makes you think that my daughter, my principessa, is yours? You're not my choice for her. You're my enemy."

I glare at him. He's the man who ordered the hit on my brother. He's the reason Silvio's dead. There's a part of me that wants to take him out right now. It would bring me such pleasure to kill Leonio right here, to see him bleeding all over my carpet. That was the plan, after all, in the beginning, before I met her. But now all that's changed. Everything is different because of Sonia.

"I know that we've been enemies, Leonio. But I'd like that to change. Sonia and I are in love. We want to be together."

Again, he chuckles at my expense. "You've got to kidding. She could never love you. You're a goddamn savage, not someone my daughter could care about. You're fooling yourself."

Just as I'm about to respond, Sonia walks into the room.

Fucking hell.

If only she could obey my orders for once in her life!

"Daddy, I'm not leaving this island," she says as she walks into the room.

All eyes are on her as Sonia makes her way through the stand-off. She walks like an angel through the guns that are pointed in every direction. Sonia is the antithesis of this moment. She's sweet and gentle, unlike all the fighting that's going on around her. Finally, she reaches my side, wrapping her arms around my waist.

"Sonia, what the hell is the meaning of this?" her father orders.

"I told you on the phone, and I'm telling you now that I'm not leaving. I love Dante. You'll have to kill me or drag me off of this island because I'm not leaving his side."