Part 2: The Stranger

My leg bounces up and down as I try not look in the direction of the stranger who is basically holding my life in his hands. We've driven enough to lose the cops that were on my tail. Since he slammed on the accelerator and got us out of here, the car has been eerily silent.
For now my eyes are staying glued to my lap as the humming of the engine slowed down my heart rate.

"Are you okay?"

Hearing the man's deep voice without a single warning made me choke on my own saliva. He mumbles a small apology and pats my back while I sort myself out. After a few deep breaths I speak.

"I'm alright."

He gives a small nod, puts his hand back on the steering wheel, and we go back to our awkward silence. I take the time to look at him, making sure to hide my face under my hood. He's wearing a black windbreaker jacket and blue jeans. No watch on either wrist, perhaps that means he's down to earth and likely prefers quality over quantity. I don't see any visible tattoos, and he isn't wearing any rings either.

"We lost them, but they're bound to be searching for you. Is there somewhere you want me to take you?"

"Nowhere in particular. Just away from there."

"Okay, let me know if we need to stop somewhere. I can keep going until we find a hotel."

He digs in the compartment between our seats and pulls out a pair of gloves. He gently places them into my hands, which rest on my lap.
"When we find a hotel, put those on. We don't wanna scare anyone."

I get confused, but then remember that my entire right hand was covered in blood, mostly dried up by now. I take a deep breath and look at him.

"I didn't hurt anyone, I swear."

"Then why is your hand covered in blood?"

"It's a long story."

I actually didn't hurt anyone. This isn't me trying to convince him not to send me to the cops. I simply made a stupid decision and now I know damn well that no one will believe me if I tell them what happened. Nor will I ever let them believe me. His soft voice fills the car once more.

"Let's make a pact."

"Huh?"

"I'm running too. Let's stick together."

    With a gentle smile, although he can't see it, I nod. His hand moves into my sight, hovering above my lap, and he holds up his pinky finger. I lift my non-bloody hand and interlock my pinky with his.