Part 20: Lost

...

Ray POV, two weeks later

...

    I've been feeling lost as hell. Dad forced me to go back to school the day after we got back, but I'm learning nothing. Everyone is asking me where the hell I was the past four weeks.

    You might be wondering why I have school in the summer. My school thinks it's absolutely genius to have the school year for the whole year except for November through January.

    Dad refuses to let me know anything about Adora, and the public doesn't know a single thing. They don't even know that she's been found.

    A group of girls come up to my desk. They wait for me to notice them, but I twirl my pen in my hands.

    "Oh my god, Ray, we were so worried about you!" says the tallest one. I look up and give her an annoyed look. She sighs and walks away. Worried about me, huh?

    I'm doodling with my pen in my notebook when I hear whispers to my right.

    "She got what she deserved,"

    "Her mugshots just got published."

    "Thank god she's out of here, she was seriously killing our vibe."

    I can't help but listen, curious about who they're talking about.

    "I really thought Adora was a good person, though."

    My fist clenches and I stand up. The people whispering look at me with wide eyes and I snatch one of their phones from their hands.

    "Hey! Give that back!"

    The phone screen displayed a photo of Adora. Her hair is in a messy bun and she's wearing an orange jumpsuit, holding a sign with numbers that don't make any sense to me. I practically feel my heart crack when I look at her eyes.

    The eyes that looked at me so many times with happiness and laughter. The eyes that have looked at the ground with sadness and anger. The eyes that glimmered with hope and determination, are now dark and emotionless.

    She doesn't look sad, she doesn't show any fear, she doesn't even look remotely angry. The sparkle her eyes always had is gone.

    I scroll up and read the headline:

    18Y/O FEMALE, ADORA GREEN, CONVICTED OF MURDER & UNDER INVESTIGATION

    A guy walks into the classroom and immediately shows a change in mood. He sees her on another person's phone screen and rushes up to them. I'm about to tell him to mind his own business, but he wrestles the phone out of their hand and throws it into the wall.

    I watch it shatter and turn around to see him already leaving, holding his middle finger up to the students.

    I close the tab and give the person their phone back.

    "Who was that guy?" I ask in a firm voice.

    "Th-that was Noah Green."

    Green? Is he the twin brother Adora told me about? "Don't speak of her anymore." I grab my things and run after him into the hallway.

...

Noah POV

...

    My hand holds my backpack in place and I'm speed-walking down the hall, anger burning through my chest. A hand touches my shoulder and I whip around, ready to yell at whoever dared disturb me.

    A guy wearing a hoodie, covering his dark, wavy hair with it, puts his hands up immediately.

    "Can we talk please?" he asks with a tone of uncertainty.

    "Make it quick," I grumble.

    "Do you know Adora Green?" I tense up and clench my jaw, stepping closer to him until we're inches away from each other.

    "Who is she to you?" I ask. He takes a shaky breath in and speaks.

    "She's my girlfriend. My name is Ray Marcus." He extends his hand for me to shake. I cock and eyebrow and he pulls his hand back slowly.

    "You're the guy who went missing a few weeks ago?" I ask, putting my hands in my pockets and backing up a bit.

    "Yeah. Adora and I have been with each other since she first went missing." He scratches the back of his neck and I loosen my stiffened posture.

    "Give me your phone." He gives me his phone after unlocking it with a confused look on his face. I add my phone number in his contact list, text myself so I can add his contact later, and give his phone back.

    I extend my hand to him. "My name is Noah Green. I'm Adora's twin brother. I'll text you my address, come by tonight at 5:00pm." He grabs my hand and politely shakes it while nodding. The bell rings and we go our separate ways.

...

Adora POV

...

    I sit up and wince in pain, stretching my back out. Sleeping on the cold ground was fine when I was with Ray, but now that I'm by myself it's even colder.

    I look around pointlessly at the same place I've been stuck in for two weeks. A stupid jail cell, meant for people with mental issues, in fact, with a hole in the wall for food to be passed through.

    This is not what I thought the law system was like.

    I'm not mentally insane, but this cell will get me there in a few days if I don't get some breathing room. They won't even wash my jumpsuit for me, I've been wearing this for two weeks except for my two showers I've been allowed to have (under supervision, of course).

    I'm afraid to fall asleep now. All I see in my dreams is Ray's distressed face while I'm being taken away from him. I didn't even get to tell him I love him.

    I let warm tears flow down my cheeks and sit against the empty wall, letting the memories flash through my mind.

...

Noah POV

...

    I sit at the kitchen table with my mouth hanging open, recounting everything Ray just told me.

    Him getting her away from the police, them sneaking around town, abandoning their car, stowing away on a train, walking through the woods for two days, a coyote attack, our family's cabin, the firework show, the arrest, and all the romance in between.

    "You saved my sister's life," I state after remembering how to breathe.

    "She saved mine as well," he mutters, tracing patterns on the wooden dining table. "Are you mad?"

    "Huh? Why would I be mad?" I ask while fixing my posture.

    "Well I obviously didn't ask your permission before making her my girlfriend," he awkwardly states.

    I laugh and he gives me a confused look. "I may be her brother, but I'm not that protective over her."

    He breathes out a sigh of relief and I scratch my head, grasping the situation.

    "So uh..." I hesitantly start. "Did she tell you the story behind her... actions?"

    "Yeah. She really cares about you." He wipes a tear from his eye, thinking I don't notice it. I look down at the table. "Is she okay?" he asks. A question I've been dreading.

    "I know just as much as you, man. I don't even know whether she's being treated nicely there." I notice his jaw tighten. "Let's stay in touch and hang out at school. I'll tell you as soon as I get an update."

    He smiles and nods, looking back up at me.

    "Thank you."

    "Would you like something to eat?" He nods and we exchange smiles, continuing our conversation while I order us takeout.