Part 16: Adapting

...

Adora POV, three weeks later

...

I walk up the porch steps with two freshly-killed rabbits in my left hand. My hand pulls the door open and I nearly fall backwards in fright.

Ray laughs at his little idea to pop right in front of me and scare me half to death.

"Bully!" I exclaim and swat at his upper arm. His laughter dies down and I walk inside, letting him shut the door behind me.

"Check this out," he says. I turn around and see him holding a cleaned-up pair of deer antlers. "I found that deer we killed the other day and collected our trophy."

I roll my eyes place the rabbits on the kitchen counter. "I bet it's full of maggots and liquified organs now."

"Pretty much. I almost died trying to hold my breath."

I laugh and ruffle his hair, making him grumble. "I brought dinner," I say while pointing at the two rabbits.

"You expect me to eat an entire rabbit?" he asks with an offended look on his face.

"We're only eating a meal or two a day, so yes." I give him a snarky smile and move to start preparing the rabbits for cooking.

Ray and I have grown much closer over the last few weeks. Nothing romantic, so get your mind out of the gutter. I told him how I took the fall for my brother that night and he told me how his dad physically hurting him over a low test score drove him out of the state.

Apparently his dad is the chief of police, so the search for him is on very high priority.

He walks to the counter next to me and grabs the second rabbit, preparing it just like I already am.

"I bet my aim is better than yours," he casually mentions, referring to how we practice together on the bows for future hunting.

"Dream on." I purposely push him with my hip and he dramatically falls to the ground.

"Lieutenant, I've been hit!" he cries while rolling around in the hardwood floor. I tap him with my foot.

    "Get up and help me," I sarcastically command. He stands up after a string of protests and continues to prepare our food. "I can't believe we're not bored, yet. We've been stuck with each other for a month, now."

    "Going insane with someone by your side makes things easier," he casually responds.

"You know, I've been keeping track of the days." He looks at me and raises an eyebrow, urging me to continue. "The fourth of July should be in three days."

"Oh, really?"

"Every year my family went to a firework show they did outside the forest. If you're up for it, we can go."

"That sounds like an awful-long walk."

"I know, but it's a really good firework show. Last time I checked, they still do it, and I know a great place to stay hidden but still get a great view."

"I suppose we could use a slight change of scenery." He pauses for a moment and holds his blade still. "Wait, how will we find our way back?"

"We can leave a trail of stones, or mark trees." I hold up my blade to reference my 'marking trees' suggestion.

He nods with a promising look on his face. "I'm not against it, but we'll be dying of exhaustion before we get there. Remember the last walk?"

"We've been hunting and stuff since then. We're a lot more fit, now." I let out a laugh when he flexes and we place our rabbits one by one on the solar-powered stovetop in a pot.

We continue to make our food while discussing our plans for the upcoming journey.

...

Three hours later

...

The moonlight kisses the horizon, and Ray and I are laying side-by-side in the grass again. We've been star-gazing together every night since we got here.

"I'm not gonna lie, the silence is getting a little too much," he speaks ip after a few minutes. "It's the same every night."

"I have the perfect remedy for that," I say with a smirk.

"Should I be afraid?"

"Perhaps." He rolls his eyes and I start to sing.

"F is for friends who do stuff together!"

I hear a groan from him and poke him in the side. "Come on, join in!" I urge. He lets out a sigh and continues.

"U is for you and me..."

"N is for anywhere and anytime at all!"

"Down here in the deep blue sea!"

We're now dancing around, trying to mimic the dance moves that Spongebob did in that episode. Our friendship has taken yet another corny turn, but we're fine with it.

We enjoy our last night at the cabin dancing around and cracking jokes before we set off on yet another trip.