Part 13: Stars

I moved the knight in front of my pawn and giggled.

"Check!" I say with a snarky tone. Ray growls and looks intensely at the board, furrowing his eyebrows.

He gasps and moves his bishop across almost the entire board, taking out my knight in one swift move. My eyes practically bulge out of my head and he laughs out loud, clapping in the process.

We're sitting on the floor at the coffee table, playing chess in candlelight. The sun had gone down hours ago, but we weren't tired yet.

"I hate this game," I huff and blow hair out of my face.

"Then what do you propose we do?" he questions.

"Are you willing to go outside?" I ask and cock an eyebrow, my face resting on my right hand.

"Depends, what for?"

I grab the storm lantern and we stand up, walking out the front door. I lay down in the cool, soft grass and wave Ray to join me. He hesitates, but lays next to me.

The cool breeze of the night embraces us, pulling us away from reality. Suddenly, he wasn't running from his abusive father. I'm not running away for a crime I never committed.

The stars pull us in and make us feel like clouds, even though we're on the ground. They twinkle, with each cluster having their own story to tell.

"I'm glad we found each other," Ray whispers.

"You're a godsend," I respond, keeping my gaze up at the night sky.

We lay still and silent for what feels like an hour.

...

??? POV

...

I slam my hand down on the table and bark to my workers.

"IS IT THAT HARD TO FIND A SINGLE PERSON?!"

"With all due respect, boss, we're already working on finding the girl who escaped from a chase, Adora Green."

I sneer at this guy's response and approach him until my face was inches from his.

"My son has been missing for almost a week, now. He could be anywhere, and you're focusing on that pathetic b*tch?!"

He looks away and mumbles a 'sorry, sir'. I groan and walk towards the door, grabbing my coat. "Find Ray within the next week, or you're fired."

I slam the door behind me before he gets the chance to respond.

...

Adora POV

...

My eyelids are fighting to stay open, and bathing in the moonlight isn't making it any easier. I turn to my left to tell Ray I want to go back in, and I see him on his side. Staring at me.

He doesn't hesitate to make eye contact. His hood is up, but his dark eyes are still the first thing I notice in the dim moonlight.

    I don't know why, or how, but my bravery gets the best of me and I turn onto my side to face him.

The sky is now the least of my focus. His eyelids are fluttering, slightly. He seems tired, blinking slowly.

"Your freckles resemble Orion," his raspy voice describes.

"They do?"

His brings his left hand to my right check and gently places his fingers on it. "Here's the three stars that make the belt," he explains as he runs his fingers across them.

He continues to point out the other freckles, but I've lost all focus. I don't know what the hell is wrong with me, I just can't stop staring at him. Maybe it's because I'm tired.

My eyelids gently close as I feel myself slowly giving into the sleepiness. He carefully pushes the hair out of my face and rests his hand on my cheek, with his thumb gently stroking the apple of my cheek. I smile slightly and give into the comfortable slumber.

...

Ray POV

...

Her breathing slowed down when she falls asleep. My hand practically has a mind of its own, drawn to her. I'm admiring her freckles, finding as many constellations as I can. I sigh and sit up, stretching out.

I sneak an arm under her upper back and one under her knees, lifting her sleeping body off the ground. Her head rests on my shoulder and I brought her into the cabin, letting the door close behind us.

My legs brought us to the bedroom and my foot lifted up the covers. I placed her on the bed trying not to wake her, and moved the covers over her. I walk to go sleep on the sofa, but her words suddenly flash through my mind.

I can take the sofa if you want, but considering how we slept last night, it's probably not a big deal now.

I mean, she's right. She slept in my lap with a leg on each side of my hips, so this isn't any different, right?

God, I gotta stop overthinking this.

I lift the covers on the opposite side of the bed and slide onto the mattress next to her, pulling the covers over me. Sleep takes over the moment my head touches the pillow, with her being the last thought in my mind.