Necromance: Chapter Twelve

A/N: This chapter's about twice as long as most of my previous chapters, I think. It's also much darker (in my opinion, anyways). I actually got naseous while writing this. I did my best to balance it out with smexy Gavin humor though ;)

Let me know what ya think! Comment, Vote, Like, etc <3

CHAPTER TWELVE

Despite my disapproval, Gavin would be joining me when it came time to confront my older brother. I didn't like the idea of putting Gavin in harm's way for my sake, but knowing I'd have him by my side did comfort me. Though, I would never admit that to him.

After some discussion, we agreed it would be best to leave as soon as possible. For one, I didn't want Daniel to send a hitman here, putting Camille in the crossfire; second, if I waited too long, there was a good chance I'd chicken out.

We were also going to need a car. Gavin had figured out that Daniel must've been tracking us through his vehicle, and had ditched his Ford truck back in Yucca. Because of my condition (shot and unconscious), he couldn't get a cab or hitch a ride to the cabin without being asked too many questions, so instead he had commandeered a car. By now the owner would have reported it stolen, so we couldn't be seen driving that one around. We were also going to need more cash, because Gavin was running low on his stash, and didn't want to use his debit or credit cards - Daniel could track those too.

Most importantly, though, we needed a lead. We needed something to follow if we stood any chance at actually discovering Daniel's whereabouts. Can't kill your target if you don't know where he is.

We contemplated that for some time, unable to come up with a decent idea of where to start. Until...

"Where did the two of you grow up," Gavin asked. He had moved from the edge of the bed the floor in front of it, pacing up and down the ivory carpet.

Propped up against the bed's headboard, I attempted to brush out the tangles in my hair. "We were dragged all over the states," I told him. "We never really stayed any one place too long, because my dad was always on some crazy mission."

He pursed his lips. It was his thinking face, and I thought it was adorable. "Right. Hmmm... is there any place he would have considered home, though? Some place he would have grown attached to?"

I shrugged. "It's hard to say. He liked Michigan a lot. We lived there as kids, and we loved playing in the snow. He would ride his toboggan down the hill in our backyard over and over again, until his legs couldn't make it up the hill anymore," I said, reminiscing.

Gavin gave me an empathetic look. "That little boy isn't your brother anymore, Brigitte. You have to remember that."

There was an aching sensation in my chest. "I know."

"Try thinking more along the lines of somewhere that would appeal more to the person he is now."

"Like a dark empty cave," I asked, attempting to be funny, but it only made me feel despondent. Gavin laughed though, which counted for something.

He shook his head, still wearing a smirk. "Tricked out bat caves are hard to come by. Try something a little more practical."

I thought for a moment. We may have our major differences now, but I knew him better than anyone. If I couldn't come up with something, we'd be SOL. There had to be some place my brother might have subconsciously reverted to.

Sudden insight crashed into me like a freight train. It was so obvious. If it had been my brother, it would have shot me.

"Damn," I said with disappointment.