Necromance: Chapter Seven

NECROMANCE

By:Rachel Kramer

Chapter Seven

We ran as fast as we could, keeping as low to the ground as possible, using bushes and trees as our cover. Gavin threw himself over a wooden fence and I followed immediately behind him. I was in another one of April's dresses and the blue chiffon got caught on a nail, which audibly ripped it in the back.

"Damnit," I hissed, not having time to appraise the damage.

It barely slowed me down, but Gavin grabbed onto my wrist again and began dragging me alongside him. As soon as I realized we were headed back toward the front of April and Addison's house, I started to fight his grip. "I don't have my car keys," I told him.

"No need," he whispered, digging a pair of keys from his jean pocket. "I've got mine."

From the front of the house everything looked quiet. Of course, if it was my homicidal brother or the Association of Preternatural Assassins - APA - then they'd probably make sure to maintain a low profile. Blowing up a window was pushing the envelope, but looking around the neighborhood, it didn't seem like anyone else had noticed. Where's a loud witness or a cop when you need one?

Gavin and I crouched against the side of his blue Ranger, which faced away from the house. "You should drive," he said, handing me the keys.

With hardly any time to think and no time to argue, I grabbed the keys and did as told. Before I knew it, I was in the driver's seat, turning the ignition. Meanwhile, Gavin climbed into the car, just as two men, dressed in black, emerged from the house. From where I sat, I could see they each held a gun - both had silencers. Before Gavin even had a chance to buckle his seatbelt, I floored it. The truck took off, leaving APA in the dust. The back window shattered after a bullet made contact, but luckily it was the only casualty.

We turned the corner, tires screeching, thus finally freeing us from the men with guns. For now, anyways. My heart pushes out an extra beat. Gavin and I may be fine, but what of Addison and April? All I can do now is hope that APA doesn't do anything rash. My hands tightened around the steering wheel. I regret leaving them behind, and now it's too late to do anything about it. Whatever fate they've met today, it is because of me.

As we pulled onto the main road, I realized that I was speeding, so I let my foot off the gas, but it was too late. A cop had spotted us. When I see red and blue lights flashing in the truck's rearview mirror, I slow to a stop and pull over to the side of the road. I look to Gavin to see if he's pissed at me for getting us in this situation, but his face was blank, giving away nothing. A sudden laugh escaped me, resulting in a questioning glance from Gavin.

"What's so funny?"

I shake my head. "It's not that funny, I just think it's ironic how the cops are never around when you them, but they're always there to give someone a ticket."

Gavin smirked, and it was amazing. I thought he'd never smile at me again after our fight last week.

I rolled down my window and turned off the car, putting my hands on the steering wheel. The cop had climbed out of his vehicle and was walking towards the driver's side - the one not riddled with bullets or a broken window. He's plump and middle aged with a bushy black mustache, and looked like every other stereotypical TV cop.

"License and registration," he demanded in a burly voice.

I cursed under my breath, remembering my purse was still in April's room. "I'm sorry officer, but it seems I left my driver's license at a friend's home."

The cop eyed me skeptically. "What about your registration?"

Gavin reaches into his glove box and pulls out a black envelope with papers, which he passed to me to hand to the officer.