Ch 16

A short chapter for y'all

"Nightwing B01, guest," a robotic voice announced as Jason stepped out into the watchtower with his brother in his arms.

"Help!" Jason immediately shouted, praying that there would be someone there.

A second later Flash appeared in a gust of wind.

"Please... help him," Jason begged, stumbling towards the hero.

Before Jason could blink flash had whisked Dick out of his arms and to the watchtower medbay.

Flash violently pressed on his emergency communication device until he heard Batman's voice from the other end.

"Talk," Bruce said in his typical near growl.

"It's Nightwing... he... he... he's wounded. Red Hood carried him in, but I don't know what to do... he's not a speedster..." Barry said quickly, trying not to speak too quickly. "I never trained for this... I heal so quickly..."

"I'm coming," Bruce said, cutting Barry off before he could go into full on panic mode. "You know how to place a catheter right?" He asked.

"Yes," Barry said shakily.

"Good. I want you to place one and start any basic first aid you might know. I'll be there as soon as I can," Bruce said, closing the line and running to the batmobile.

Bruce rushed into the medical wing dragging Leslie Thompkins behind him and hoping that Nightwing was still alive.

Leslie immediately rushed into the small medical room that currently held Dick's still body. She placed her fingers on Dick's neck, feeling for a pulse, letting out a sigh of relief when she felt a weak thrum against her fingertips. "What happened?" She asked, glaring at Flash.

Barry fidgeted under her intense look. "Ask him," he said, shoving Jason forward.

Bruce's eyes narrowed when he saw Jason in his blood stained clothes and helmet.

"We fought, I won," Jason said, folding his arms over his chest defensively. "Just be glad I didn't leave him to die."

Leslie sighed. "I need everyone out," she said, shooing them all away so she could get to work.

Bruce stood when Leslie exited the room. "Well," he asked expectantly.

"He'll be fine. I'm sure he has some sort of a concussion, but it'll heal. You do need to keep him awake for at least 8 hours, and make sure he refrains from all superhero activity for a few weeks. I'll check on his staples soon to see if they're ready to be taken out," Leslie said as she headed towards the zeta-beams.

"Thank you," Bruce said, startling Barry who was sitting next to him.

"It's no problem Batman, just keep a close eye on that one," Leslie said, gesturing to the med bay. "Oh, I almost forgot," she said, turning back towards Bruce. "Did you ever get more detail from that Red Hood character before he left?"

Bruce pinched the bridge of his nose. "He refused to say anything, but I'm sure Nightwing will tell us what happened," he said.

Leslie huffed. "If he remembers," she said before turning again to leave, lifting a hand to wave her goodbye.

Dick was sitting up on a moderately comfortable hospital bed when Bruce finally worked up the courage to go see him. "Nightwing," he greeted awkwardly.

Dick winced when he heard Bruce's voice. "Quieter please," he whispered, sucking in a deep breath.

"I'm sorry," Bruce apologized. "So," he said a few minutes later. "What happened?"

A pout found it's way onto Dick's face. "I was on a roof and Hood got the drop on me," he said.

Bruce's brow furrowed. "Why would go after you?" He asked.

"I know his identity," Dick replied.

Bruce's eyes widened. "And I don't suppose you'd consider letting me in on that secret?"

"Hood almost killed me just for knowing it myself, I'd hate to imagine what he'd do to me if I told someone else... let alone you," Dick said with a quiet chuckle.

Bruce sighed and checked the time. "It's time for the meeting," he said, looking at Dick expectantly. "You feel up to attending?"

Dick slowly sat up and swung his legs over the side of the bed. "Yep," he said, not sounding as certain as he would've liked. "Good as new."

Bruce nodded and watched as Dick pushed himself up off of the bed and went to take a step.

As soon as Dick shifted weight from one foot to the other he fell to the ground, closing his eyes and breathing deeply to try and fend off the waves of nausea that were continually washing over him.

Bruce was immediately at his side, helping him up and slinging one of Dick's arms over his shoulders. "Good as new huh?" He joked.

Dick let out a small laugh. "Almost good as new," he said quietly.

There were about 30 superheroes sitting around the large oval table in the watchtower.

Dick sat in a wheelchair Bruce had managed to find for him to use. He tried his absolute best to listen and gather any useful information from Bruce's long lecture, but he couldn't seem to focus around the pounding of his head.

Bruce had just moved on to what had been his last point of conversation when the room suddenly filled with a thick blue smoke.

After a moment the room cleared, revealing a tall man with a bright blue hair and a top hat.

Salt...

"Ah, the Justice league," the sorcerer drawled. "I heard you were having a get together and I couldn't help but come to spread some chaos."