⤷ 29| THE SECOND WIZARDING WAR BEGINS

chapter twenty-nine : the second wizarding war begins

☆ ☆ ☆

HE WHO MUST NOT BE NAMED RETURNS

In a brief statement on Friday night, Minister for Magic Cornelius Fudge confirmed that He Who Must Not Be Named has returned to this country and is once more active.

"It is with great regret that I must confirm that the wizard styling himself Lord — well, you know who I mean — is alive and among us again," Fudge said, looking tired and flustered as he addressed reporters. "It is with almost equal regret that we report the mass revolt of the Dementors of Azkaban, who have shown themselves averse to continuing in the Ministry's employ. We believe the Dementors are currently taking direction from Lord — Thingy.

"We urge the magical population to remain vigilant. The Ministry is currently publishing guides to elementary home and personal defence which will be delivered free to all wizarding homes within the coming month."

The Minister's statement was met with dismay and alarm from the wizarding community, which as recently as last Wednesday was receiving Ministry assurances that there was 'no truth whatsoever in there persistent rumors that You-Know-Who is operating amongst us once more'.

Details of the events that led to the Ministry turnaround are still hazy, though it is believed that He Who Must Not Be Named and a select band of followers (known as Death Eaters) gained entry to the Ministry of Magic itself on Thursday evening.

Albus Dumbledore, newly reinstated Headmaster of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, reinstated member of the International Confederation of Wizards and reinstated Chief Warlock of the Wizengamot, has so far been unavailable for comment. He has insisted over the past year that You-Know-Who is not dead, but is recruiting followers once more for a fresh attempt to seize power. Meanwhile, the 'Boy-Who-Lived' —

Juniper threw the paper aside, now wanting to know whatever they had written about Harry. She, Angelina, Alicia and Lee had been having breakfast when the mail arrived.

"They're complimentary about Harry now," Alicia said, also reading the Prophet. "'A lone voice of truth . . . perceived as unbalanced, yet never wavered in his story . . . forced to bear ridicule and slander . . .' Hmmm," she added, frowning, "I notice they don't mention the fact it was them doing all the ridicule and slandering in the Prophet . . ."

"Well, you know," June said, shrugging as she grabbed another toast, "some people never change. Anyway," she added leaning closer to her friends, "there is something I wanted to ask you guys."

Lee, Angelina and Alicia exchanged a look, before the former said, "You can ask us anything."

June hesitated. "Well, now that Voldemort is back, there is this group that fights against him. I'm not asking you to join us. It will be dangerous, you might die in doing so. It is your choice and I understand if you don't want to —"