Chapter 10: Fire from her Fingers

47 BULLETS

The next morning as the rays began to shine in the cab, I sat up from across the seat and stretched. Was it the first time I slept through the night in this crazy place? I couldn't remember, but it felt good. A look to my berry fingertips even showed they were back to normal. The boils on my arm still looked sickly, and the pain was sneaking back so I'd have to figure out where those liquid leaves were.

Getting up and going through somewhat of a normal morning routine, I waited for Thann to come back. He was probably out hunting eggs again. But I just ate another watermelon carrot and as I sipped on a bottle of water, my nerves started to pick up. Our water supply was getting quite low. We'd need to make a trip to the lake today, and to be honest, the idea frightened me. It was like I was coming to associate the lake with bad luck, but I shouldn't. The indawho indazo? Indezawo? Forget it, the dragon, was dead now. It shouldn't matter to go get water. We'd need it and we'd need our supply to be as full as possible if we were traveling tomorrow. I wondered how long it would take us to get to Molly and Lissette. A single day? A week? I needed to remember to ask how long it would take. How would I even ask how long it would take?

I gritted my teeth and started putting all the water containers available ready for a hike and then planned for my next steps with the wheelbarrow. I'd need vining material to weave a basket, so I hooked the rifle over my shoulder and stepped into the woods.

Staying within fifty yards of the truck I wandered through the thickness and chopped down vines and bendable saplings as I came across them.

"EL!" Thann hollered from the direction on the truck and before I even had the chance to open my mouth to call back he came crashing through the brush and was in front of me. "El," he tempered in relief before hardening again. He pointed the path he just came tearing through. "El car!"

I smirked and started walking that way. "Oh you big baby. I wasn't that far."

"Baby?"

"Nevermind." I turned back to him, walking backwards. "Where'd you go anyway? Why can't I sneak off if you do? Did you bring some more eggs?"

He grabbed the load of sticks from my arms. It was barely more than a handful for him.

When we stepped into the clearing, he dropped the sticks unceremoniously near where I had the fire and then got an excited look in his eye. He then full on grabbed my waist and lifted me clear to the side of the truck like I was a toddler. My hands leapt to his arms to steady myself.  "Whoa! What's going on?" 

I was nearly as tall as him from sitting there, and I could look at him face to face. It made me smile. His eyes sparkled with a joyful glint, and I noticed there were some gold flecking within the brown I'd never noticed before. "Hey. What?" I pressed my lips together in a bashful moistening line.

His hand softly touched over my face, caressing my cheek tenderly, and it warmed my stomach. My breath stopped at the sweet hold. Was he going to kiss me? Did I want him to kiss me?

Of course not.

I think.

But instead he reached into his side pouch and brought out a flower. It was like a wide lily, colored a rich indigo with bright yellow glistening stamens. He held it out to me.

My lips parted in a silent gasp at the beautiful blossom. A full grin spread to my face as I looked to meet his eyes. "Thann," I said with a purr. "Did you get me a present?"

"El. El." He placed it in my hands. "Nose."

"Thank you," I said with a loving air. I brought it to my nose and inhaled. It was a stunning scent that engulfed me. It was like springtime, somewhere near a crystal-clear brook. "It's beautiful."