Chapter 30: Earth Medicine

33 BULLETS

I was pregnant.

I stood in a weird sort of shock.

I was preparing for a baby in three years.

Not today.

But as we sat in silence and Thann let me process, my thoughts were dripping into happiness.

Drip.

Drip.

Drip.

I had always wanted to be a mother. And really, when Thann first told me about his planet, I was ready. But as the possibility dropped into darkness with my implant, the idea slid away.

Now it was back as a tidal wave, crashing me into the ground.

I had to be ready.

How do you get ready for a baby on an alien planet?

I needed my mom.

Mom.

That's right. I was pregnant! I would have a baby and then get to go home! My ticket was practically printed!

Happiness flowed.

I was going home.

But.

I was happy for more than that. And I realized I was happy that I was pregnant. I was happy that this was my child.

New life.

Thann and I had created life.

A grin started to spread over my face and Thann looked up adoringly.

Happy? He signed.

I nodded serenely. Happy.

He jumped to his feet and flipped me into his arms, spinning me around.

Holding on, I couldn't help but give a joyful laugh.

He sat me back down and pulled me tight against his chest. The grin had never left his lips.

His eyes glistened to me and I had to bite my cheek to resist his gravity. "You're going to be a daddy. Thann's baby."

He rested his forehead against mine. "Thann El baby."

"Yeah," I agreed. "Ours."

He pulled me back into an embrace and stayed that way for a long time.

I was trying to picture us as a family.

Huddled by some fire, probably in a clay hut home. A pink bundle in Thann's arms. Or blue. I guess it didn't matter which as long as it was healthy.

I stiffened.

Healthy.

Oh my gosh.

The implant.

What would that do to a growing fetus? Would it cause birth defects? Maybe? I couldn't remember.

It could hurt the baby!

"Thann!" I yelled and he stepped back in alarm. "We have to get the implant out, now!"

His eyes shifted to not understanding and I pointed to the rod.

"Earth medicine. Hurt baby!"

His eyes widened as he took in what I said.

Turning quick I marched back to camp and dug through the packs until I found his dagger.

His hands were surrounding my wrist. "No! No hurt El."