Chapter 37: Queen

Human cheers rose into the sky as wolves from the crowd transformed back, and Thann's lips finally parted from mine. I beamed around the area and even some of the kidnapped women were trying to smile.

"Behold. Your Queen." Thann knelt to me and the gathered men followed. Women, unsure of what else to do, and embarrassed at their states of dress, sank to their knees as well.

"You guys need to help them, not to bow to me," I tittered nervously, looking over the desolate women.

Thann's loving eyes gazed up to me. His face sparkled with joy, like he was tasting a delectable dessert. "Yes Eleanor. We do. You are the most precious jewel to this world. We will protect you as the most magnificent treasure you are."

I waved a hand out over the crowd. "But there's lots of women here."

He grinned following my wave and stood. "Earth women," he called in the voice of radiance. "You will no longer be treated as possessions. You are the royalty of this world. You will be protected even as my queen will be." His eyes pointed on the guards that had kept the women in chains. "Find them garments and food. Now."

Their eyes widened with the underlying threat and ran inside to complete the order. Thann then trained on other guards standing by. "And dispose of the previous King's body." He softened to the crowd. "My pack, you are dismissed."

Feet began shuffling every which way.

"Girls," I called out. "You are welcome inside with your mates."

Some women smiled and instead walked toward homes, but others took my offer inside, led away by a man or two.

"You can have two mates?" I spoke shocked, watching a set retreat after an African beauty.

Her second man with wide shoulders, turned and winked. "Nah, but I'm her protector."

"What do you mean?"

He stopped before going inside. "Bisa is my brother's mate. I won't let anything happen to either of them."

I smiled, but it turned into a frown. "How did she get caught by Maza?"

His shoulders slumped. "The King had been searching for all the women. We were commanded to let her go. We did."

"You didn't fight for her?" I asked bewildered and annoyed.

Thann grabbed my hand and offered softly. "Of course they wanted to fight for her. They were commanded El. They couldn't disobey."

"What do you mean?" I searched Thann's face.

"An Alpha Command is uncontestable. If your Alpha gives an order, you must follow."

"You must follow?" My eyes widened with realization, and I gasped. "When he forced me to walk to the stage."

Thann nodded.

"That was an alpha command?"

"Yes."

"That's horrible."

Thann's brow pushed together not recognizing why it would be. "It is life."

"Life? Well, what about free agency?"

"What is free agency?" He looked equally confused.

"On Earth, we can choose to follow the command or not. We have rules. We have rulers. But each person must decide to follow them or to suffer the consequence. But it is still a choice."

The other man slipped away into the mansion following his brother as Thann and I spoke to each other.

"What is the consequence?" He asked, a thousand more questions darting through his eyes.