Chapter 1

Kyler

Alpha Kyler Sutton stood next to his Beta and best friend, Chase Stevens. They were awaiting the Marking Ceremony for future Alpha Maddox Evans and Ensley Mason. Kyler could not remember the last time he visited the Black Flint pack. His own pack, Blood Moon, was almost two days away in wolf form from here. Between the two packs was a vast area of caverns and mines owned by humans. The future Luna was in fact part human. Her grandfather was the former Beta of Black Flint pack. Her mother, Sheree, married a human and lived her life in the city until her husband died when Ensley was eleven years old. Afterward, she went back to her father and her pack. Sheree's father was no longer the Beta, but her brother, James, was the current third-in-command. Kyler had never liked James, he always found him overeager and conniving.

He knew the Black Flint, Alpha, Beta, and third-in-command from the regional pack meetings held twice a year. Kyler and Maddox would get acquainted when he took over for his father next year after turning twenty-one. Kyler became Alpha a few months after his seventeenth birthday when his dad was killed in a raid. He never found out who did it. Some in his pack think it was rogues, but Kyler was never fully convinced. Music trumpeted, letting everyone know the ceremony was about to begin.

"Look, here comes Maddox." Chase nodded toward the man walking down the aisle followed by his father the Alpha and his mother the Luna. Chase had been his representative to Black Flint pack on several occasions and knew Maddox. Having never met Maddox, Kyler wondered if he was anything like his father. Alpha Dax was known as a fierce alpha. You did not cross him without severe consequences. Though Kyler, in his four years as Alpha, had never had a reason to disagree with him. Maddox took his place on the riser and faced the audience filled with Alphas, Lunas, and Betas, all there to wish the new couple well. The music changed, and Kyler noticed a harpist to the right of the riser. Everything was decorated with greenery and flowers of all kinds. He saw Maddox smile beyond the crowd and followed his gaze. In the distance, Ensley was coming toward her mate. She was radiant. Kyler felt his heart constrict at her beauty. Golden blonde ringlets fell past her waist, a thin white veil that cascaded from the top of her head and down to the ground hid some of her hair. Her dress was white as well, Kyler thought it accented her body beautifully without being revealing. Kyler was captivated, transfixed. She was exquisite. Maddox was a lucky man, he thought. He could not take his eyes off her as she drew closer and closer to him. Kyler saw what a devastating clear blue color her eyes were. Her eyes met his. Then, without warning.

"Mate." Kyler called out. He felt his wolf trying to come forth, but he held him off.

"What?" Chase looked at Kyler as if he had lost his mind.

"Mate!" Ensley cried out at the same time. No one moved. Everyone was silent. Kyler could not believe what happened. He was at her marking ceremony for crying out loud. She had found her mate already. Why would he say that? He knew, though. He knew without a doubt she was his mate. His brain was just confused, trying to process everything.

"No!" yelled James, Ensley's uncle. He got up from his seat and began shaking his fist and yelling at Ensley. "I did this for you! I arranged this for our family!" He shifted and lunged in Ensley's direction.

Pandemonium hit the audience as others, including Maddox, shifted to wolf form. Maddox's wolf jumped off the riser, putting himself between James and Ensley. Kyler could no longer fight his wolf and he leaped toward Ensley, every ounce of his being crying out to protect his mate. She was sobbing and shaking.

"Maddox!" she cried out. Her uncle lunged at Maddox, trying to make his way to Ensley or Kyler. He could not tell. Kyler saw Dax shift. The turn of events upset other Black Flint pack members, and they were heading in Ensley's direction. Kyler nudged Ensley with his head. She looked up at his wolf in wonder. Ensley shifted, shredding her beautiful gown and veil. Her fur was just as golden as her hair.