Chapter 7

Ensley

Ensley woke feeling sluggish and with a foggy head. Her arms and legs were very heavy.

"Where am I?" the room she was in was very dim. She shook her head, trying to clear it, but could not quite think straight.

"You are with me." Maddox said coming into view. He lit a few more candles.
"What have you done?" Ensley asked. "I don't want to be here. I don't want to be with you. Take me back to Kyler." Fear struck Ensley in the heart.

"I can't." Tears pricked her eyes at the thought of never seeing Kyler again. "Here, drink this." Maddox handed her a bottle of water.

"What's in it? More sedatives?" Ensley would have thrown the bottle at him if she had any strength.

"No, it is only water."

"How can I trust you? You drugged me and took me from my house. From my mate." Ensley's voice was icy. "You are not who I thought you were. Kind. Caring. Loving. No, you are just the opposite."

"I am the same person, Ensley. The person who loves you and would do anything to see you happy." Maddox sat down beside her. "My father was ready to reject my mother and come for you himself when I refused to go along with his and your uncle's plan. They don't know that you and Kyler have marked and mated. They thought it was taking place tonight at your Luna ceremony. So, tonight, I along with several other wolves, snuck past guards to kidnap you. Once alone, I am supposed to mark and mate with you. Though, we are not actually alone. There are about twenty other wolves close by. My father wants you to mind link with him once you are awake. He believes I marked you. While you were out cold, I showed his beta your mark and told him I did it. Ensley, I am not sure how we will get you out of this, but I will not take you against your will. I know I acted rash when I saw you in the woods. That is what desperation will do to you. I have had time to think about things now. Because I love you so much, I will let you go so you can be happy."

"Oh, Maddox. I am so very sorry for the way things have gone. I know I would have been very happy with you. However, a mate is so much more than what you and I had. You know your mate is out there somewhere and you will find her. I still care for you." Ensley could not stop the tears that fell. "I love Kyler."

The beta came around the corner into the alcove where the two of them were sitting, "Maddox, your father is arriving."

Maddox leaned down to close to Ensley's ear. "Pretend to be in a deep foggy state from the drugs. He will expect to mind link with you. You need to be loopy and out of it."

Ensley could only nod as Alpha Dax and her uncle came into view.

"Father." Maddox said in greeting.

"I see you have our little prize and your mark on her neck." Alpha Dax said, patting his son on the back.

"What is wrong with her?" James asked.

"She is still feeling the effects of the drug I gave her." Maddox said.

"Drug?" James questioned.

"Yes, I had to cut her mind link long enough to get her away from her new alpha." Maddox said. "How long do you think I need to hide out here with her?"

"Since you have marked her, I suppose we can wait for you to mate with her when we get home." Alpha Dax said. "We will stay here for a day or so. I suspect that Kyler is on his way to Black Flint as we speak. I told our guards not to kill them, to let him look and see she is not there. He is no fool. Kyler will not start a war."