𝑷𝑹𝑶𝑳𝑶𝑼𝑮𝑬.

AZRIEL HAD KNOWN for just over two hundred years. He'd grown comfortable with this secret, this weight on his heart. There was no chance, not with everything she continued to go through, her bright emotions-- not to mention he had never and would never deserve her.

Not the strong-willed, ever-bright Illyrian woman that was now lounging around beside him, wings sprawled carelessly over the couch they occupied.

"Az, your shadows are blocking my book."

His cheek darkened, forcing the tendrils to pull away from the woman. Without a tight leash, they reached out for her, like smoke in the wind.

"I'm sorry."

"It's alright," She laughed, gently shutting the book, "Want to go for a flight?"

Azriel obliged quickly, following the woman as she launched off the balcony, disappearing for a moment before the moon was eclipsed by strong, wide wings. Her shout of glee pulled a smile from him, urging the man into the air.

She had always loved to fly. Her heart belonged in the sky, so Azriel found the days she invited him the dearest.

"Hello," She smiled, coasting closer to him, "When does Rhys return?"

"Tonight," Azriel responded, his heart lurching as her wings pulled back into herself, freefalling for a moment, "Nin--!"

The woman let out a joyous laugh, her wings spreading to catch herself on the wind.

Azriel's heart slowed to a calmer rate.

"You are such a worrywart."

And, he was. Only for Nixie. Because of this bond that she was blissfully unaware of.

Azriel had decided, just twenty years after it snapped into place for him, that if one day it fell into place for her, perhaps this would mean that he was good enough.

But after waiting, he thought perhaps it would never happen. That he'd never be able to outgrow who he was, that he'd never match the life that filled Nixie.

Though having her forever arm's length away was enough. Having her within reach, being able to protect her, spend time with her, watch her, feel the color that always flowed from her, this was more Azriel could dream of.

So he flew with her, and met her back on the balcony, and listened through a heavy door as Rhys explained where he'd be departing to-- and where Nixie demanded to follow.

"Nixie, this is not a debate--"

"You are my brother," Nixie argued, eyebrows twitching in annoyance, "Rhys, I can handle it--"

"You will stay with Azriel--"

"Rhys, this isn't just my job, it's the entire reason I was born-- protecting you runs in my veins, literally. Forcing me to stay here would only hurt more, and you know it."

Rhys stared at her for a long moment. He weighed the options-- something would happen to her. This, he could tell. Something bad, if he caved and brought her along.

But if he refused, if he had Azriel and Cassian hold her down as he left, she'd just find a way to follow him.

And she'd no doubt bring the entire Inner Circle with her.

"If I give the word, you fly without a second thought."

"Rhys--"

"That is the only way I will bring you."

She stared at him through narrowed eyes, sighing deeply.

"Fine, but--"

"No, Nixie. Nothing else, you agree with no argument or you will stay in Velaris."

She scowled but agreed nonetheless.

And looking back, Azriel wished he'd told her then. So, perhaps she'd have something to hold onto for those long fifty years she would spend Under the Mountain. He wished they'd flown just one more time, wished he'd done more that night before they left.

But he hadn't. Because like a fool, Azriel believed he'd see her again soon. But life was fragile, they both would soon learn, and hindsight would always be better than looking forward.