⁰⁶, THE CITY OF STARLIGHT

𝐒𝐓𝐎𝐑𝐌 𝐎𝐅 𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐑𝐋𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓.
chapter six; The City Of Starlight
" Can we really go home, Rhys? "

chapter six; The City Of Starlight" Can we really go home, Rhys? "

IT WAS SILENT. For the first time in a long time, the silence uneased Nixie. Even though Rhys hadn't left her side, even though she was no longer in a cell, it set her on edge, lifted every hair on her arms.

Her tormenter was dead. Gone. This reality felt far away, but what didn't was the guilt.

It suffocated Nixie.

"Come along," Rhys urged quietly, "One last thing, Nixie."

She obliged, allowing the man to help her out of the chair she had occupied, almost carrying her through endless, twisting corridors.

Nixie felt tears brimming as she breathed in the cool, crisp air. She couldn't help but sniffle as Rhys gently lowered her into a new seat, the woman soaking in what it felt like to be outside.

Her eyes stung from the sun, her skin prickled in the wind, but Nixie didn't focus on the pain, she focused on being out from Under the Mountain.

Feyre joined them, making light conversation with Rhysand. He wanted to say goodbye, he claimed, and she kindly reminded him of their bargain.

Though, Feyre figured it couldn't be so bad if it meant she got to see Nixie once in a while.

"Be glad of your human heart, Feyre," Rhysand spoke, "Pity those who don't feel anything at all."

Feyre nodded shortly, eyes unable to stay away from the woman, hunched into herself. She took a short step, before crouching to meet Nixie's eyes.

For a moment, Feyre felt like Nixie understood what it was to have this endless, un-fillable hole in one's heart.

"Thank you, Feyre," Nixie spoke before Feyre could. "I will repay you, one day."

Feyre just shook her head, eyes welling with unshed tears.

Perhaps it was destiny, or it was simply that human heart, breaking for a caged woman.

"You already did," Feyre said with the ghost of a smile, "We're even."

Nixie nodded, her own tears haunting her eyes as she pursed her lips together.

"Well, goodbye for now," Rhys said as Feyre straightened and took a step back from the two.

Rhys extended a slender hand, forcing his emotions down as he stared at Nixie, her wings the only security.

"Let's go home."

Nixie's eyes lifted, the tiniest speckle of hope dancing with pricking tears. She dared to reach her hand out, allowing Rhys to pull her up, her wings weighing her down-- knees buckled but her High Lord kept her steady, wrapping a gentle arm around her waist to carry the weight she couldn't.