¹¹, THE INVITATION

𝐒𝐓𝐎𝐑𝐌 𝐎𝐅 𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐑𝐋𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓.
chapter eleven; The Invitation
I am not willing to risk her for that. "

  IN THE FOLLOWING weeks, Nixie never had a free moment

  IN THE FOLLOWING weeks, Nixie never had a free moment. It didn't take long for anyone to notice this was likely due to the stark contrast between her behavior in and outside of training.

  As if she lost herself the moment she entered the townhome, and only found the pieces when she arrived at the House of Wind.

  "You're tired, take a break."

  Nixie wiped the sweat off of her brow, glaring at Cassian for a long moment.

  "I'm not done yet."

  "But you are tired."

  He couldn't find the murderous look all too threatening yet. Cassian figured once he was unnerved by her anger, their strength re-building would be complete.

  And now, staring at the woman who had gained back a fraction of the weight she used to hold, he was not scared.

  Her cheeks were still too hollow, deep purple half-moons stamped under her eyes, the normally richly tanned skin a pale comparison.

  "Cass, just another hour, come on," Nixie said, shaking the man from his thoughts, "Unless you're scared."

  "Not of you," Cassian laughed, lifting the wooden sword that matched Nixie's, "Stay on guard, Ninnie."

  Nixie glared, charging at the man quickly. It turned into a flurry as she switched between offense and defense, struggling to keep his weight from overpowering her. The woman tried her hardest to take agility over strength, to channel the style of fighting better suited for her frame, ignoring those Illyrian instincts.

  "Nixie."

  The woman let out a frustrated sound as Rhys's voice cut through the mock battle, though she never took her eyes off of a grinning Cassian.

  "Slightly busy, Brother," Nixie noted, repelling Cassian's weapon with her own, "Can it wait?"

  "I suppose so."

  "Don't worry," Cassian spoke up, "I'll make this quick."

  Cassian quickly overpowered the woman, pushing with more strength than before, and in a matter of moments, his wooden sword was prodding the tender skin of her stomach.

  "And, you're dead."

  Nixie glared, bringing her sword up and bringing it to Cassian's neck.

  "And, you lost your head," She mumbled, dropping the sword quickly, "Should've gone for a killing blow."

  Nixie couldn't fight a smile as Cassian feigned a dramatic death, though when she turned to face Rhysand, it dissipated slowly.

  He was well put together today, clearly taking on more important duties, the man strode swiftly towards her, a delicate envelope pressed between his index and middle fingers, outstretched in offering.