Chapter 48: A Battle Alone

He was about three roofs away when the building next to them blew up.

---Adrien's POV---

Ladybug dropped Alya off on the roof quickly, casting a worried glance back at who called herself Monarch. 

"Is it just me, or is she uglier than usual?" I quipped, trying to lighten the mood. I knew how much Milady hated Lila Rossi after all. It was the same hatred shared by all those who truly knew her.

As if in response, Monarch aimed her staff across the building she was in, destructive explosions following suit. Fitting for her, given how much of her life is spent causing those.

"Cat, you take Alya somewhere safe. I'll hold her off." She decided, thinking on her feet the way she does best. "She hates me more that either of you, so you should be able to get away."

I snuck a glace back at the ruins of Alya's apartment. Monarch had leveled the floor completely and was flying around. She'd find our hiding place any second.

"Go!" She maintained, giving me a quick side glare. Eyes pointedly staring into mine. 

"Okay okay. Let's go Alya."

I picked her up and glanced around. There were a lot of good places to hide in Paris, but anyone paying close attention would eventually be able to piece together the more common places we heroes took civilians. With all of Lila's free time away from school, she'd definitely have a list on standby.

Standby... That works. 

If Monarch thought we would go anywhere, the top contenders would be Chloe's hotel or The Eiffel Tower. The airport shouldn't be anywhere close to the top of the list.

I leapt into the air with Alya hanging on tight with one arm, and gripping several sheets of paper to her chest in her other hand. A quick glance down at them revealed Marinette's name, but she was holding them so tightly I couldn't read anything else. 

I was about three roofs away when the building next to us blew up. I risked a glance behind me for a second to check and Ladybug was turning in the opposite direction I went, her form elegant despite the situation. Monarch clearly having to decide which of us were the bigger target.

I hurried away, using my staff when necessary, but running if I could help it. It would be easier to not fall if there was more than a stick keeping us upright had Monarch decided we were who she wanted to chase after all. 

The airport was just ahead. It took all my willpower to not just leave Alya here and turn back when I saw a news helicopter headed to where I just left, but I had let Ladybug down enough lately. She trusted me to get Alya to safety and that was what I was going to do.

---Marinette's POV---

Cat Noir didn't say where he was going and that meant I had no idea how long it would take to get there. I couldn't rely on her chasing me one way either, because I didn't know what direction he was going.

I swung my yoyo around Monarch's wrist. I'd have to keep her attention the old fashioned way. I pulled hard and dragged her across the roof towards me. 

She glared daggers at me, her face twisted into a more concrete anger than I've ever seen on Lila's face. 

"You stupid bug!" She screeched, pulling herself off the ground and leaping towards me wildly.  I just managed to leap out of the way before she hit me. I could feel the impact through the air however, making me worried. I had nothing to work off of here.

Her whole stick was subtlety and lies. Even when akumatized. Her previous battles were about deception and trickery. Changing herself or the surroundings to fool us into thinking she had the upper hand. Monarch was different. She fought with a more hands on approach and her reflexes were heightened. It was like fighting a complete stranger. As much as I hate Lila, her actions were at least easy enough to see as illusions before. This was new.

Monarch grabbed her staff off the roof and shot at me. Once again, I barely dodged the hit, but I couldn't brace myself for the impact of the explosion behind me.

I felt myself fly off the roof before I really felt the impact of the blow. An aching, burning pain that would have most likely been a million times worse than had I not been transformed. 

Stunned for a moment by the shock, Monarch had the time to jump off after me and kick me to the ground. Hard. I felt myself being thrown into a corner and my head slammed against a wall behind me. My mouth filling with a metallic taste.

I could hear the thuds of a pair of footsteps running towards me, full speed, but the last couple blows took their toll. Moving hurt, and while I knew I would be fine in a moment if I was left alone, there was absolutely no way that an akumatized Lila would grant me that moment.

Bracing myself, I squeezed my eyes shut tight and prepared for another explosion. 

"SHELL-TER!"

I looked up slowly, opening my eyes to see Carapace standing in front of me, holding his shield up as a magical force field surrounded us.