014.

014. "NOBODY WANTS TO HEAR ABOUT YOU HAVING ROBOT SEX!"

CADIE DIDN'T necessarily fear heights. she feared falling to her death, hurtling to the ground quicker than she could curse herself, splatting onto the ground looking like a pancake, the mortal embarrassment when her father learnt she died 'falling off a metal statue flying in the air' because yeah, her dad and step-mom knew she was a demigod. that alone was a stretch to believe. but a magic metal statue that was flying them away from danger... she didn't think her dad would believe that. not without evidence it actually happened.

so no, cadie didn't fear heights. and lilly certainly didn't.

the child of hermes yelled with glee, treating their almost death-sentence as a fun roller-coaster, like the with loopty loops and big drops (well, lily considered that fun. cadie considered that mortifying since the last time she went on one, the kid next to her vomited and it flew into his face). having the time of their life, she threw her arms up and laughed loudly, "this is fucking awesome!"

"just tell me when this fucking nightmare is over," thalia yelled, her eyes shut tight.

cadie had to agree. though she was considerably less scared than thalia who seemed to be frightened for her life. though the statues were holding onto them so they wouldn't fall, thalia had a death grip on the statue's arm. if she squeezed any tighter, cadie was sure the metal would be dented.

"everything's fine," percy promised, lying through his teeth.

"are... are we very high?"

cadie looked down. below them, a range of snowy mountains zipped by. percy, like an idiot, stretched his foot out and kicked some snow off of one of the peaks. "nah," he lied, "not high at all."

"we are in the sierras!" zoë yelled. she and grover were hanging from the arms of the other statue. "i have hunted here before. at this speed, we should be in san francisco in a few hours!"

"hey, hey, frisco!" cadie's angel said. "yo, chuck! we should visit those guys at the mechanics monument again! they know how to party!"

"oh, man," the other angel said, "i am so there!"

"you guys have been to san francisco?" asked percy.

"we automatons gotta have some fun once in a while, right?" their statue said, "those mechanics took us over to the de young museum and introduced us to these marble lady statues, see. and-"

"hank!" the other statue, chuck, cut in, "they're kids, man."

"right." the bronze statue said, "but for real-"

"NOBODY WANTS TO HEAR ABOUT YOU HAVING ROBOT SEX!" yelled cadie loudly, "so please- ... just get us there!"

"Yeesh! you heard the lady, chuck!" yelled their angel, "let's fly, buddy!"

they sped up, so cadie guessed they were excited. the mountains fell away into hills, and then they were zipping along over farmland and towns and highways. on the way, grover played his pipes to pass the time. zoë got bored and started shooting arrows at random billboards as they flew by. every time she saw a target department store- and by the way they passed dozens of them- she would shoot the store's sign with a few bullseyes at a hundred miles an hour. at some point, lilly had wanted to be placed on the ground, saying she could probably beat the statues.