Chapter 12

Saturday = music class = meeting Sarayu = best days of my life.

I went to class as usual, and after class ended Akshu came to pick me up, and just like I thought, Sarayu came to the main room to pick her books up from the room. What's even better? Mrs. Malini was in the kitchen. "Hi! Akshara, right?"

Akshu and I looked at each other for a second. "Hi Sarayu, how do you know my name?"

Sarayu swallowed. "I-I've heard your father talk about you and your brother." Her eyes moved to meet mine.

"Nice! Oh yeah, by the way, I love your name!"

"Seems like sarcasm to me," Sarayu said.

"Oh no, I genuinely love your name!"

"I'll take the compliment, thanks!"

I silently swung my hand horizontally to intentionally hit Akshara, and I think she caught on - she didn't even flinch. "So, did you think about college and all that?"

I got my phone out to record what Sarayu was going to say and not let my selective amnesia come in the way. My bad luck hit me bad though - my phone was not on silent mode, and the record "ding" sound was loud. Both of them stared at me, and I had to do something. Sarayu's eyebrows were up and her eyes were wide. I had to do something.

"Oh, looks like this idiot Rahul just replied to my message!" Sarayu looked towards Akshu. Phew, that was close.

"I got into some decent colleges, but I was getting a scholarship and a lower tuition fee at UNC, so I'm going to study there."

UNC, here I come!

"Nice, even my man Abhimanyu got into UNC, but he's still deciding," Akshu replied.

Her eyes widened, this time in a positive way. "Oh really? It's a great place, you should definitely try out!"

I replied, "Yeah, heard it's a good school, I'll think about it." I'm lying, I already decided where I am going.

I wanted to continue the conversation instead of using Akshara. "Anyways, what major are you applying for?"

"Well my ambition is to become a dentist, which is why I did that course over summer break, so to do that I'm doing a biochemistry course for my undergrad."

"That's nice! I'm planning on becoming an aerospace engineer, I always wanted to do that..." along with other ambitions no one is supporting me for.

"Oh that sounds cool!" Sarayu checked the clock. "Um, I have a calculus class in another five minutes, so-"

I replied, "Oh yeah sure, sorry for interrupting your plans." Sorry not sorry.

"Oh no problem, bye Abhi and Akshara!"

That was the first time I heard her say my name. She was leaving, but I was just there, standing and having my mind constantly repeat the way she said my name. Akshu had to drag me out my the collar.

Bye Abhi.

Abhi.

Two days later, I was tying my shoe lace and was getting ready for school, when Father Arjun came up to me with the same question I've heard ever since I was born, or at least since I entered middle school.

"Did you even plan anything about your future?"

"Oh leave my poor son alone," came Subbu, my savior.

"When else will he decide?"

I stomped my big foot and stood up. My parents, who were sitting, looked up to me for the first time. "I want to go to UNC and study mechanical engineering as a major and aerospace studies as a minor."

My dad's mouth was wide open, while Subbu's eyes were wide open and shining. "Now that's my son!"

"When did you plan all this," Arjun asked, his face showing all the confusion he had.

"Ever since I decided to go to UNC, Mr. Arjun."

"And when did you decide to go to UNC?"

"Ever since Sarayu told me she was going to UNC." Obviously, that didn't happen.

Instead, I replied, "Do you want me to be in this good mood and be enthusiastic about my future or question why I'm doing this?"

"I'm just concerned that you're lying to study music or something."

I wish I could do both engineering and music, if only I had that luck.

"No dad, I'm going just to study engineering." My dad let out a big positive sigh.

I messaged my guys and found out that Vaishali and Krishna were also coming to UNC. After my parents approved and my friends were happy with my decision and I was accepted into UNC, I restlessly waited for my college life.