25

I wondered around the mansion, surprised at the sparse population this morning. I hadn't slept after Faye and I had completely eaten all the cookies, just waiting or the sun to rise. It was weird how no one was breathing down my neck and I didn't like it one bit. I made my way to one of the many guest rooms, looking around for any sign of life and there was none.

Not even Vittore who was hell bent on having me in his sight. I roamed towards the roof of the mansion, hoping some fresh air would do me good. I stood on the wide balcony, looking down at the estate, no guards in sight. I was seriously worried now.

"Look what the cat dragged in," I turned my head to see Alexa lounging on one of the many chairs outside in a bikini. "I'd invite you to tan with me but you know..." she said waving and gesturing to me in general.

"You mean I was already born with the perfect skin. Yeah I know," I said proud to be black. I couldn't change it and I wouldn't honestly.

I went and sat down beside Alexa, enjoying the sun too. I was in sweat shorts and a t-shirt because I had no motivation to look nice today. Alexa and I were quite for a while and it wasn't so bad. I turned my head to look at her. Her eyes were covered with shades and I guess this was the first time I'd seen her so relaxed. I turned my gaze upward once more, closing my eyes.

"You know, the first time I met you the only words on my mind were "snobby A class bitch"," I said remembering the moment very well.

"The first on mine were "smartass controlling bastard"," Alexa said causing me to snort.

"I'd take smartass but not controlling," I said.

"And I'd take snobby but not bitch," Alexa resorted.

"But you are a bitch. An annoying, whiney, clingy bitch," I said not really wanting to sugarcoat anything.

"I know. Sometimes you have to be what people expect," she said sighing softly. I nodded cause I understood.

"So if you aren't all the things I said, what are you?" I asked. Alexa really wasn't my favourite person. I just didn't like her. I didn't have a reason why I didn't though.

"Well I like cats and Dia de los Muertos, the day of the dead is my favourite holiday," Alexa said surprising me.

"Well I hate cats and haven't really had a dog to like before so I wouldn't know anything about that and unsurprisingly, I love Christmas."

"You know I did see you as a dog person and more of a Halloween kinda girl."

"Halloween is nice but I've never really liked it that much. I preferred Christmas with all the food and gatherings."

"Not the presents?"

"Never the presents. Trust me you wouldn't care about them if the smell of meat was waffling through the whole house," I said remembering my last Christmas.

"Well for Dia de los Muertos I loved dressing up. The face paint and the dresses. The music and the tradition... it was all I lived for. My father used to take me to Mexico every year for it but I haven't really gone since he died."

Silence descended between us once again, me not sure what to say and Alexa in her own world.

"We should go this year," I finally said.

"We?"

"Yes "we". I've heard about Dia de los Muertos and all but I'd never gotten to be a part of it. It would be fun and you wouldn't have to go alone."

"And why would I want to bring you of all people?" Alexa asked in her normal bitchy tone.

"Because I doubt Vittore would want to go with you and the others probably don't even know Spanish," I stated the obvious making Alexa go quiet.

"I don't like you," Alexa said.

"Neither do I."

"Maybe we started on the wrong foot," Alexa said sitting up. I looked at her, my stare blank and my face flat.

"Ya think?"

Alexa rolled her eyes at me. "Why don't we just try this again? We are stuck together from now on, I'm practically your shadow yet I want to stab you any chance I get."

I sat up, turning to face her. "Honestly, the feeling is mutual on my side," I confessed.

"Truce?" Alexa asked extending her hand. I looked down at it and then up at the girl.

"Fine. Truce," I said sliding my fingers in hers. We shook on it and let our hands go.

"Oh and my name is Alexa Eva Maria Valenzuela," she added.

"And I need to know that why?" I asked.

"Because it would be only fair I knew your name," she said and I realised I hadn't told it to her.

"Dalia. My name's Dalia."

"Dalia. Weird name," Alexa said standing up.

"Look who's talking Valenzuela," I said rolling my eyes as I watched her stretch her arms over her head.

"It's not that bad of a name," she said holding her mouth with a yawn.

"Where is everyone by the way?" I asked standing up and following her once she started going back to the house.

"They either went for some huge drug transport or followed Vittore to get some unknown piece of information from an anonymous source," Alexa said.

"And we're holding down the fort?"

"Yep pretty much."

Alexa walked towards the kitchen, grabbing a bottle from the fridge and drowning some water.

"Who is here?" I asked.

"Vittore's mom, some guards and the dogs."

"And no one is worried we'll be attacked," I said trying to confirm.

"Nope. This place is a fortress. Getting out isn't as easy as getting in," Alexa said.

"I think you're forgetting even the strongest temples can be brought down," I said putting a hand to my hip.

"Yeah but this isn't just any fortress. It's the main headquarters for the Martinelli Familia. Trust me, no one's coming," Alexa said.

"You just let yourself think that," I mumbled and Alexa chose to ignore me.

"Don't worry so much Dalia. I have to go do something right now so good luck with entertaining yourself in an empty mansion," Alexa hollered disappearing from the kitchen. I huffed and run a hand down my face.

I was tempted to wake Faye so we could bake again but thought she deserved to get some rest. Sighing, I decided to go to my room and try to get some sleep myself. Running on few hours was great but I needed to rest my body. It's been up and about since I got here.