cinq minutes

cinq minutes

It fades back into a fuzzy warmth of summer. Your fingers wrap around my wrist and my stomach starts bubbling and turning as you drag me down the length of the beach and into the warm Mediterranean sea. A smile falls across my face. You really truly were the only thing that could make me smile.

Darkness laces around the edges of my joyful emotion and plagues over me, the feeling resting in me like a storm cloud resting before it begins thundering. 

As you drag me out further into the surf the waves lap higher up my thighs and squeal. I complain as you pull me farther into the sea but you just shake your head and smile. When we get to our chests you turn towards me, placing your hands gently on my shoulders. I place mine on yours, watching your light eyes that compliment the ocean so perfectly.

"Tu descend avec moi, Lilou." You smirk as you insist on me coming into the ocean with you and I reluctantly nod my head. On the count of three. "À trois: un... deux... trois!" 

I hold my breathe in my lungs and with your hands never leaving my shoulders and mine never leaving yours, I dunk down into the water. I'm about to rise for air when your lips connect to mine. My eyes pop open, sea water stinging them and my hair gently moving with the faint current around my face. And your eyes open too. 

When we come up for air I can feel my eyes are red. Pieces of my hair cling to my face awkwardly but you don't care. You kiss me again right through the hair and I press my eyes shut and kiss back, my hands resting around you neck. My body feels like it's on fire, cheeks blazing red hot. Your lips are soft and move against mine slowly. My heart pounds. Our mothers are yelling at us from shore, bringing attention to us, but we ignore it. This is us, not them.

"Je t'aime." I whisper, your nose pressed against mine and my eyes pouring into yours.

"Moi aussi, je t'aime." You say with a thrilled grin, running a gentle finger over my cheek.

At your words my insides swell with happiness for an instant but are soon blanketed by something else, something different. I kiss you again to get rid of the nagging feeling of sadness that rests quietly in my gut. 

And the fifth minute fades quickly into blackness.