𝐈. Philia- TwentyOne

I should've listened to my instincts. But I wanted her. It was a tasteless, selfish desire I failed to ignore. I should've never left that stool, followed her down the large path to the that lonely home. I should've shook my head, hailed a cab with my last dollars. Leave. Gone forever. Far away.

I had become familiar with Nicky's bar. I knew that the second stall was better compared to the third or the first. That there was a slight lopsidedness to the floor, you'd be a different height depending on where you stood. That he never touched the liquor on the top shelf, even if it was requested. That some of the stools spun, while others were in need of oil.

Before now I never knew such seedy places existed. We were prevented from watching it on shows, the internet was no use. I was always blindsided by what was really out there. Until now, I never thought I'd find solace in such places. One time should've been enough.

But Greta was performing tonight and we were given no choice but to dress our best and turn up for the event. Now dawn had come up, Jane had painted my lips a dark red and the dress, short and printed with flowers, was clinging to me like skin. I used Jane's jacket to cover my thighs, consciously looking over my shoulder to readjust the straps.

Nicky, as always, was behind the bar. Shaking new drinks he had designed specifically for the night. It had been a huge turn out. More crowded than any place I've ever been. The warmth was suffocating, sticky bodies pressed to each other, their hot skin brushing yours to find a seat, the bar, or anywhere near the stage.

"Ugh, there you are! Kaylee found us some seats near the front." Jane had managed her way through the crowd and stumbled beside me. It was the first open seat I saw when we walked in. I hadn't moved from this spot since.

She was out of breath, no doubt panting from all the matter she had to squeeze through. The exhaled breaths she took reeked of liquor. We hadn't been here that long.

I shifted under her glassy gaze, her hand firmly pressed on my shoulder in case someone would walk by and stumble her off her already compromised balance. "I'll just stay here."

"No," She whined, batting those long lashes, "we can't see the performance from here!"

I was both amused and intrigued by a begging Jane. How a grown woman who composed herself so well, unfolded quite easily.

"They're your friends, Jane. You go have fun." I spoke into her ear, holding her lower back.

She stomped, huffing. Never taking no for an answer, she grabbed my wrist pulling me through the masses. I couldn't help the small 'sorries' and 'excuse me' I muttered every time I bumped into a grouchy man with a scruffy beard or dancing women who assumed I was her next partner.

A table in the corner, just near the elevated stage, came into view. A small lantern with one of those fake candles sat flickering in the middle. Nicky must've set out extra seating for the awaited congregation.

"Look who I found!" Her drunken state allowed her to be oblivious. Her voice loud, actions large and exaggerated. The empty martini glasses with the once olive topped swords belonged to her.

And the mug hidden behind the darkest eyes, the ugliest cloud, sat Kaylee. I had hoped we'd never run into each other again. The hatred was mutual.

"Oh goody." She says dryly, toying with a plastic straw. Jane glares at her, fist already balled.

"Don't start, Lee. I thought you said you'd be nice." She was still in that pouting mood, clutching onto me like I was her favorite stuffed toy.

I leaned into her, whispering, "I don't know why you expected that."