𝐈𝐈. Pragma- ThirtyFive

One of the things Linda and I talked about was practicing gratitude. There was so much we didn't have, which in a way was it's own blessing, and so much we did, which of course was.

She said it wound keep me grounded—present. And my mind off of the negative things it tended to linger on.

Admittedly I didn't take the homework seriously. Saying thank you to the birds and trees and my body felt silly. All of this did.

But now things felt different. I was full off of a feeling so beautifully foreign. I was thankful it was here. I was so thankful it was her.

"I called Harper this morning." It had been awhile since I've heard of the pink haired girl Florence had begun to spend her days with. Their last interaction seemed bond breaking and I could see how the longing in Florence's face was starting to turn to pure desperation. She missed her friend.

I waited impatiently until I was allowed to peek in and critique the outfits she put together behind the curtain. "And how is she doing?"

"Good..I guess." I heard some jumbling before she continued, "not much was said unfortunately."

"She's still upset?"

"More so disappointed." I heard her voice fall and perked up.

"Can I ask why?"

"I wasn't honest."

The music in the store switched to something familiar as I began to tap my foot. I hadn't expected her to say that. "Why did you feel the need to lie?"

There was a long pause before I received any response. "I was afraid."

"Of?"

"Losing them. But it happened anyway so.." She stepped aside from the curtain, flattening the material against her skin. "How does it look?"

My thoughts banished as a smile threatened to burn my cheeks. "I think you look great."

"Yes, you've said that, Jane. How does the shirt look?" She was looking at me through the mirror, tugging at the hem and keeping this adorably sexy smirk on her lips.

I sighed, still unable to decipher the difference between the articles of clothing she picked. Her style was much more edgy than I would've thought. The dresses and leggings she wore were being traded for baggy jeans and skimpy, dull toned graphic tees.

"I think that looks great too." I stepped into the small box, wrapping my arms loosely around her hips. We had been at this a few hours. I was content chasing her but I wanted to spend the two short days I had off being lazy at home, not shopping at the mall.

She was on to me. "You're just saying that."

"I guess we'll never know." I shrugged casually.

With the roll of her eyes she released herself from my hold and began to separate the pile of clothing that had accumulated. "Have you talked to Nicky?"

Slightly pouting, "now why would I do that?"

"He's your best friend and..." She trailed off. "I'm sure he's worried and wants to check on you."

"Though I appreciate you both, it is neither his or your responsibility to quote on quote, check on me."

"Yes, we know that but you and I both know you didn't leave Walbank with the reason you initially wanted to. And as much as I dislike bringing her up, Kaylee has a right to know too."

"No. She knows."

"You've talked?" She stopped racking the hangers up on her wrist to look at me.

I averted my gaze. "It wasn't as much talking as it was yelling." And a kiss I decided to leave back in Walbank.