𝐈. Philia- TwentyFour

Everyday was like picking petals from a flower. Testing my luck, hoping the outcome would be something great and beautiful.

Except the flower was already dead when I got it. The leaves were wilted, its vibrant color drained.

Though in this case I wasn't sure who was more of an abandon flower; me or Jane. I was a lost cause with my family while Jane seemed to be floating throughout hers. We were both plucking bits away like it would serves us some kind of good. Some twisted game of 'she loves me she loves me not'

Fortunately— unfortunately—we were given each other. So no matter how tired our fingers became, there would be a whole field to choose from.

"Jane?" She replied with a hum, never once lifting her head from the small vintage collectables. "Tell me about Kaylee."

She shook her head, toying with her soft fingers. "You have no interests in Kaylee why all the sudden now?"

I rocked on my feet eyeing the market. "She knows everything about you." I swallowed.

"And that intrigues you why?"

"Because I don't. I hardly know anything."

She took a quick glance up through her long lashes. "Consider that a blessing."

Huffing, I crossed my arms. Stop that! It's not fair. Just tell me something so I can go through the rest of my day."

She pinched at my cheeks. "You're so cute when you don't get your way."

"I'm even cuter when I do." I scrunched my face and rocked on my toes to see if that'd make me anymore persuasive.

She smiled, moving along the aisles. "Oh I bet."  She eyed the sky, letting the sun settle on her skin. "Quite honestly she doesn't know more than you."

"I seriously doubt that."

"Not it's true. Ask her. But with Nicky's big mouth she might have a little on you."

I scoffed. "No kidding." I tried to picture the small blonde wrapped around Jane's arm. Before things changed and apparently Jane disappeared.
"She has something out for me Jane. The woman is nuts.

It was her turn to chuckle before quickly becoming utterly serious again. "She may be a bit...possessive—

"And mean and snarky and—

"That's not really her. Unfortanely she hasn't done a very good job of proving you wrong but...her intentions are there."

"And what would those be?" I feel my eyes roll back in my head.

"She just wants to protect me. She knows I've been hurt and you're new and tagging along wherever I go and something like that is a threat. You make her uneasy."

"I've done nothing to her." I shot back.

She massaged her temples, clutching on to her mesh shopping bag. "You didn't have to."

I was going to pick the flower again. Try my luck and see how far I could get and hope it wouldn't lead me to a cliff. "What have I done to you?"

She paused, seeming to know what I meant—how I felt. It was more than a question.

She gulped quietly, chewing her inner check. "Nothing I didn't want to happen."

"Even on the days when you drink?"

She swallowed, then hummed almost ashamed

"Even when I'm a mess. And you're a mess. And things just happen?"

"Like the time in the tub?"

"Yes, like that."

"Yes. I didn't care too much for being worried, but I...kind of liked it."

"Even when I keep leaving?

Nodding again. "That too. But I don't feel as anxious that you won't come back." She picked up a carton of strawberries and brought it to her nose, muttering, "anymore."

"Anymore?"

She looked around before grabbing my wrist and pulling me to the back of the tent. She took a deep breath, holding on to my hips and tugging me forward. Arching into her, it was hard not to look up. Her ivy vines wrapping around and drawing me in. I inhaled sharply, melting in her embrace.

"I want things to happen, too." A hesitant pause passed, her eyes flickering down at my lips. "Be patient with me, okay. Please?" I nodded, stiffening, causing her to take initiative and lower her hands to my thighs. "Can you do that for me?"

Swallowing hard, I looked down seeing our bodies close again. That familiar shiver crawling up my back whenever we made contact.

Her grip tightened on my legs. "You know I need words."

"Y-Yes." I muttered.

She stood back, folding her arms. "Good. Now, I think you owe me dinner."

Never in shock of her ability to change the subject, I poured again. "What? I'm the guest, you haven't cooked in over a month!"

"Well I guess that means you're no longer a guest then." She smiled, that dimple piercing her skin. "Say later this week?" She was so mischievous, with her smirk and beautiful waves of hair that blew in midday in Walbank. She was a walking paradox spinning around my head in a polka-dot dress. My Jane, how long she didn't know I would always wait for her.

I stomped my foot, for the second time in a week giving in. "Fine. Harper invited me over but afterwards I'm all yours."

"Yay! I want pasta and maybe I'll pick up some cheescake on the way back."

I gasped, joking, "might this be a date Ms. Donovan."

Her button nose twisted. "You know I don't like when you call me that...and so what if it is. Right?"The shaded pavilion didn't allow for me to miss the subtle frown on her face.

"Right. Of course." We walked back out to the main farmers market, finding a small booth of soaps and lotions. "And you're fine with Harper?"

"As long as she doesn't kiss you it shouldn't matter."

I sighed, "you're never going to get over that, are you?"

"Probably not but I appreciate you trying." She cheeked. Smartass.

Rolling my eyes, I tried my luck again. Picking my lip as I debated.

I took Jane's hand, interlacing her fingers with mine, ignoring the rosiness now clad on her cheeks.

"This alright?" I whispered, looking around as if it were a crime to be holding her hand.

She laughed, shaking her head. "Yeah it's fine." She smiled, leaning into me as we carried on through the booths.

Short fluff chapter for the weekend. Thank you all for bearing with me. -L
*unedited*