CORDBOT

Sol System, Jupiter’s Orbit.

 Kalifax’s display lit up with an unexpected finding.

“Commander, the third planet from the star is rich in resources.  We should investigate.”

 “Is there any advanced life?”

“Sensors suggest several intelligent species, but none are advanced enough to present a significant obstacle to a reaping.”

“Plot a course.”

The Aerospce Corporation, El Segunda California

“It’s probably still approaching now.  Can we pick it up on the satellites?” Sabine furiously typed commands 200,000 miles into space.  The satellites found the object, closing in on Mars. 

“Look at the way it moves.  It’s not random space junk.  There’s something controlling it.” Roy insisted.

“What does SETI say?”

“They’ve picked up nothing.  Our overtures have been met with silence.  They either don’t know we’re talking to them or they’re ignoring us.  Either way, it’s not good.”

“Fine,” Sabine sighed. “Activate CORDBOT and send the pilot up.”

Sol System, Mars’ Orbit

“Do they know we’re coming?” The commander asked.

“I believe so.  They are sending out primitive communiques.  They seem to hope for peaceful contact,” Kalifax smirked.

“Good.  Let us proceed.”

CORD’s Space Elevator, Guayaquil, Ecuador

“We got the call, Caroline.  You’re going up.  If we time it just right, the BOT will form around you.”

“And if we get it wrong, I’ll die en route.”

“Pretty much.  Good luck.”

Low Earth Orbit

“God speed, Captain Walker.” The elevator capsule sealed shut and Caroline shot into space.

“CORD, I am approaching the stratosphere,” Caroline fought G-force to say. “Engage CORDBOT!”

The space junk of the last century suddenly coalesced around her. Ancient space stations and old rockets had been retrofitted to come together to create a gargantuan anthropomorphic robot in defense of Earth. CORD had weaponized space debris.

“CORDBOT engaged.  Alien craft approaching.” Sabine’s voice crackled in Caroline’s ear piece.

“I see it!  It’s huge.”

A laser shot out, narrowly missing Caroline.  She dodged expertly.

“They have weapons.  They fired at me!”

“Can you fire back?”

“I don’t think I have any fire power that can compare.”

“Then go low tech,” Sabine advised.

The carbon blade in the bot’s hand was whisper thin.  It sliced through the hull and the atmosphere exploded from the cabin, pushing Caroline away like she had been fired from a cannon. 

That’s when the gravity field caught her. 

“Aim for an ocean!  The cabin should protect you!”

Her radio died.  All around her were flames.