The Hug

It was now Monday night and I still hadn't checked out of the motel even though I was meant to be here for just the weekend. I couldn't possibly go home now.

How could I leave him again?

I came back everyday to see Jason. I kept my distance from his shack, not wanting to see his mother's head or the other decaying bodies alongside it. It was like he was still a child even though now that we were older, our age gap didn't seem so big. I decided to clear my thoughts and lay on the bed of the dingy motel room. My eyes fluttered shut but shortly after ripped open again. I huffed and tossed over to the other side of the bed, by the window. I soon laid on my back with a small sigh.

Can't sleep.

I moved up into a sitting position and yanked the blanket off my legs before swinging them over to the edge of the bed. I stood with a grunt and shuffled over to the kitchen to grab a drink. In the quiet darkness of the motel room, I swung the cupboard door open to snatch a glass from the shelf. I turned the faucet on with a sturdy squeak and the water splashed down into the scuffed steel sink. The cold water plummeted messily into the thick glass of the cup until it was nearly hovering over the brim. I turned the faucet again for it to screech off, water plopping down into the mouldy drain.

I brung the glass to my lips and gulped down the water in the dark. After chugging the small cup, I wiped my mouth where some water droplets spewed from. I gently set the glass on the counter and stood in silence. My blood ran cold when the floorboards creaked from behind me. My shoulders raised and I stared at the floor intently through a strand of hair, because it was better than facing what was behind me. I slowly began to turn but then swiftly looked from behind, expecting the worst.

Jason was there.

A large gulp of air erupted from my mouth and my shoulders relaxed as I exhaled.

"Christ on the cross." I sputtered with a shake of my head.

Jason's tall muscular form had almost shielded the whole window behind him with his form. His hulking shoulders slouched and shook with each big breath he took. The burlap sack over Jason's head had blanketed his eye through the hole with a thick black from the darkness of the room. I stared in bewilderment at the monster before me, remembering a time when he wasn't so scary. Like that time he heard me sing 'La vie en rose' for the first and certainly not last time. The little boy had spooked me in the night when I spotted him in the doorway of the kitchen. A small smile graced my features at the memory, and the nostalgia of this new one.

"What're you doing here, Jason?" I whispered.

Jason loomed over and stared me right in the eye. My pulse quickened at his icy gaze of blue and looked away myself shyly.

It was funny. When he was a child, it was the other way around. I would always look Jason in the eye while he would tremble under it and would glance at anything that wasn't my face. Now I blushed and looked away like I was a child myself. I closed my eyes gently when I heard Jason's sturdy boots trudge closer to me, his intimidating figure engulfing my own in his shadow. I shakily cracked my eyes back open and peeped up at him glaring at me.

"Jason...?" I squeaked.

I flinched slightly when his calloused hand met my cheek, grazing it with his thumb carefully. My eyes widened and wished he wasn't wearing that sack so I could read him better.

"I was gonna come see you tomorrow." I stated through the silent kitchen.

I shiver struck me from the night's breeze coming through the open window. The curtains swung freely through the air as the soft breeze fluttered through the motel room. My eyes locked on the window, wondering how I didn't hear Jason climb through it.

"You should go home, my love. I'll see you tomorrow, okay? I think we both should get some sleep." I lifted my hand riskily to his broad shoulder and gave it a small pat.

Jason saw this as an invitation to wrap his arms around me in a hug. I yelped against his chest as I was completely engulfed by his form. My arms swung up to snake around his back, patting it sturdily. I soon rubbed it softly when I felt Jason tighten his grip around me.

"You've been waiting for this hug, huh?" I joked.

I felt Jason nod against my shoulder as he leaned down to bury himself in it. He still refused to break the hug and we stood there for long yet quick moments.

I hummed the tune of 'La vie en rose' softly to him in the dark, rocking him from side to side gently in the embrace.