The Camp

I left Crystal Lake Wednesday morning. I stopped by the camp to be almost immediately greeted by Jason.

"I'm sorry, Jason. I wish I could stay longer but I have to go back to work. I'll come back soon though, okay?" Jason hung his head and stared at his scuffed boots. "It's summer now, you know? Summer camp might be opening." I said. Jason didn't say anything but raised his head to meet my eyes. "You gonna be okay with all that? Stay out of trouble?" I asked motherly. The man slowly but surely nodded his head slightly. "Okay, well how about I come visit after summer camp?" I smiled. Jason didn't move. "I promise I'll come back." I reassured. He caught glimpse of the old beaded bracelet around my wrist. "I gotta go." Jason engulfed me in one last bearhug and I felt the wind get knocked out of me. "Okay, okay. I'll miss you too." I managed to wheeze out.

"I told you to stay out of trouble!" I said angrily as I weaved through the dark woods.

I saw the news last night. The camp counsellors—all murdered before the campers even boarded the buses. I was livid. All dead at the hands of the man I helped raise.

All except two... and a little dog.

The 'final girl', Ginny, the news said her name was. She managed to survive the hulking Jason Voorhees that haunted the campgrounds.

But Jason didn't.

I furiously wiped the hot tears that dribbled down my cheeks. Dusty gravel crunched under my shoes as I walked by the lake. The moon beamed over the camp. The murky lake glimmered in the moonlight, masking its true demeanour with a look of invitation.

All was still.

I paused, glancing at the cabins, dry blood splattered on the windows. The soft waves wafted over the lakeshore, dampening the dirty sand filled with twigs and rocks.

"Jason!" I called out.

A group of crows bundled in an old oak tree cawed in reply. They all took off in fear of my voice and flew away into the night sky. I watched helplessly as they emptied the tree and left me along again.

"Jason!" I shouted again. "Please..." I soon squeaked in a tiny voice.

I walked fast. Trying to figure out which way to enter the woods in order to get to Jason's shack. My memory definitely wasn't as good as it was back when I was young. But even after that, I managed to find a small opening in some bushes by a cabin. With nothing left to use, I stepped into the inky black woods, and ventured on. It wasn't too long until I found myself at Jason's shack. I stood in front of the grotty door, nervous to go in.

What if there were more mutilated and bloated bodies in there? I didn't particularly want to look at those. But there was something else I feared. The news said that Ginny attacked Jason in a shack just like this one.

What if I found Jason's body, laying on the floor in a puddle of his own blood?

When Jason was a child I promised him I'd be right where he left me after he went to summer camp. That we'd play and be together for years to come.

But then he died, and now the exact same thing had came into play again.

Another tear found its way down my cheek and dropped onto the ground below into a small dot. My hands flung to my face as I screwed my eyes shut, and slowly crouched to the ground with my own tears.

"Oh, god..." I sobbed. "Oh, god. How?" I whispered. "How did you become this?"