xx. blood over gold

— ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ —

— ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ —

WHEN OAKLEY'S ALARM SOUNDS at eleven the next morning, she finds herself having a hard time forcing herself to leave the bed when JJ sleeps so peacefully next to her. His hair is a mess of curls, his eyes have a puffy red outline as they stay softly shut and his back is large and muscular as they make strength with his arms under the pillow. He lays face down, his face gently tilted towards her as his lips stay open with soft snores coming out of them.

He'd started out curled up into her, with his head in her chest and his hands wrapped around her waist like a protective corset. But then sleep happened and they both ended up scattered all over the bed.

The girl yawns tiredly as she swings her legs over the bed and closes her eyes for a second. Her hands grip the mattress to keep her upright and her head gently tilts down as she feels the exhaustion still linger in her muscles. But as hard as she wants to sink back into the covers that now drown in his smell and feel like his mellow warmth, she stands up and quietly changes into the new bikini and sweatshirt given by her sister.

She proceeds to write a note for Pope, Kie, and JJ for when they wake up and don't find her there, and then silently tiptoes back into their room and leaves the Snickers bar on JJ's nightstand, knowing of the boy's obsession with the candy.

With that, she slips on her vans and walks out of the house. However, much to her surprise, she finds Kie already awake, laying on the hammock with her phone in her hand. She turns when she hears the door close and smiles softly at Oakley.

   "Mornin',"

Oakley returns the gesture.

   "Morning,"

Kie stands and walks over as Oakley embraces her in a tired hug, resting her cheek on her shoulder and closing her eyes.

   "Ah, I'm exhausted," she mutters as Kie wraps her arms tightly around her and rubs her back.

   "I kid you not, I have never in my life seen you wake up so early,"

Oakley chuckles.

   "And you will never see it again," she sighs and pulls away, blinking back the tiredness that makes her eyes puffy, "I gotta run home before my dad gets back,"

Kie nods.

   "Right. Because Rowan won't go snitching to daddy about you sneaking into your house after two days being MIA," she says sarcastically, scrunching one eye and looking up in mock thought.

   "That's exactly why I'm sneaking into my house at eleven in the morning. The deep sleep comes from genes, Kie. Plus, Stella's got my back,"

Oakley starts moving towards Pope's truck and Kie sighs before following.

   "I'll give you a ride," she says, "You know, just in case you manage to run yourself over somehow,"

Oakley rolls her eyes and the two hop in the car. Kie grabs the keys from her pocket and turns on the engine.