xxv. save the girl's life

— ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ —

— ⋆ ⋆ ⋆ —

"SAVE YOUR TEARS FOR WHEN THEY'RE WORTH IT," Arthur would always say. A simple phrase carrying so much meaning and bittersweet sense that would be said to the little blonde girl every time a tear would crawl out of her eye in a desperate attempt to be set free. Oakley would always obey, because, you know, we tend to believe what our parents say when we're children, and because of the many times Arthur Clifton would repeat how pathetic crying was, Oakley sort of grew around the idea of expressing her feelings.

That's precisely why the girl feels like she can't recognize herself just because of how many tears she's been wasting these last weeks. The adversities come as fast as waves on the shore, and every single one of them seems to get heavier and heavier to carry, pushing Oakley closer and closer to the edge. She's been trying to remind herself that shedding a few tears is empty and is never a solution as small as the problem is, but for the first time in years, she's been completely prevailing against the force of them.

The scarce evidence of the tears' prior presence linger on Oakley's face in the form of a red rash around the eyes and a dramatically red nose-tip. Her eyes— clearer due to the water that had cascaded out of them seconds ago— stare out the window in a distracted haze, progressively becoming more and more numb to problems as they seem to be getting worse. Any major inconvenience could be a small rock in her shoe after everything's that happened, and all because she's slowly learning that she needs to stop getting overwhelmed by the troubles thrown her way, and instead focus on how the next obstacle will most likely be ten times worse.

   "JJ and I are dating,"

Simply as that, with the most monotonous tone and eyes not straying from the passing trees, Oakley breaks the silence that has longed for the entirety of the ride. This catches both Pogues by surprise, making JJ turn around with a puzzled look and Kie's eyebrows slowly furrow as she looks at the stoic girl through the rear view mirror.

   "Huh?"

   "We're dating. Have been for a while,"

She continues to keep her gaze focused outside, with a fist under her chin and her eyes slightly squinted due to the puffiness around them. If it wasn't in the given situation, or if Oakley was actually showing some sort of emotion, JJ would probably be smiling like an idiot, but instead, he's just confused.

   "Okay. . . and when did you plan on telling us this?"

Kie had known. Honestly, they all knew. It didn't take an awarded psychologist to notice their platonic love for each other.

"I'm telling you right now," Oakley replies.

"Yeah, after how long?"

"Mmm. . ." the girl thinks, eventually coming up with a rational answer and finally turning her head to look at JJ's bewildered eyes, "A few weeks. Maybe months, being brave enough,"