- LXIX -

(A/N: Quick note before we begin-- I just wanted to give everyone a heads up that this chapter jumps around a bit, switching between character perspectives and times. Not by much, but enough that I'm going to bold the stars between jumps, just to make things clearer. Also, a quick disclaimer that since the Fantastic Beasts franchise is still left with loose ends, and we have no idea where the next movie is going, I have made up my own storyline for Newt. Another thing [okay maybe not such a 'quick' note], this is my first time ever writing dialogue for Newt, so his dialect might be a bit off. I know he's quirky and awkward in the movies, and I'll try my best to follow that, but it might not come across the same. Finally [I'm sorry, I'm almost done], I've adjusted the timeline with Newt like I did with Jacob, so instead of being in his 120's, he's late 80's-- I'm using fanfic logic. Just wanted to cover my tail before anyone calls me out on that! Anyway, I hope you all enjoy this chapter, and without further ado, lets get into it!)

*

"You know where you're heading?" Pepper fussed, making sure that not only Harry, but Bucky and Steve were prepared to brave the outside world.

Harry was excitedly awaiting his trip to visit Jacob and meet Newt, but an incoming snow storm was threatening his plans. Even still, Bucky and Steve had insisted on taking him.

"We'll be fine, Pepper, I promise," Steve assured her as he tied a baby blue scarf that Bruce had made him around his neck.

"I've driven through worse," Bucky shrugged with a sly grin, and Pepper shot him a look.

"You're not making me feel any better," she warned, but her tone was playful. She grabbed the basket of treats from the counter, and handed it to Harry who accepted it gratefully. He had never seen his mum so stressed about something so trivial, and he wondered if it was because he was going to meet Jacob, and the last time that he had done that, it had ended up with his being kidnapped by Death Eaters.

"You'll be back before supper?" She asked, but the question was phrased more as a statement.

"Yes mom," Bucky playfully nudged her before growing serious. "We'll make sure we're back before it starts getting dark."

She glanced at the three of them, and Harry wordlessly moved towards her, silently welcoming her motherly embrace. She fondly ruffled up his hair before holding him out at arms length.

"You have fun, alright?"

"I will," he responded, giving an excited nod.

"Well then, off you go. Don't want you three to be late," she ushered them out the door.

On his way past, Steve placed a hand lightly on her shoulder. "I've got them Pep. Don't worry."

Pepper reached up and placed her hand atop Steve's for a brief moment before taking a deep breath and releasing it.

"On that note, I think it's about time for my hourly check on my other child-- Tony."

Steve let out a hearty laugh, and gave her a wave as she retreated down the hallway, before closing the door behind him.

*

"Is this it?" Steve asked, pulling the truck up along the curb and looking out at the building.

"Yeah! He lives in the apartment above the bakery," Harry explained, gazing fondly at the faded sign that read "Kowalski" hanging above the snow-covered awning.

"Do you want us to come in with you?" Bucky turned around in his seat to face Harry, who had just unbuckled his seat belt.

"You can if you'd like to. I don't mind," Harry replied, his answer taking Steve aback. He couldn't help but be proud of the kid, because a few months ago, the idea of meeting with two men that he either barely knew or had never met would have sent him spiraling. But now, it sounded as though he was offering more for Bucky's ease of mind than his own.