- XXX -

Harry's eyes fluttered open at the slight tug in his hand, seeing Bruce to his left.

"How are you feeling today?" Bruce asked as he changed out the bag of saline that was hooked up to Harry's IV.

"A little sore," Harry replied, voice rough as he spoke for the first time in several hours.

"That's what I figured. Once you guys got home last night, Tony brought you straight down here, and you were asleep before you even got under the covers. I knew you had probably overdone it," Bruce frowned, taking Harry's wrist in his hand and feeling for his pulse.

Harry blushed when he realized which wrist Bruce was holding, regret and guilt flooding him once more as he remembered that night in which Peter had found him bleeding out in the bathroom.

Bruce let go of his wrist and typed something in on a tablet, giving Harry the opportunity to tug his sleeve down and hide the scabbing wounds. It seemed like the incident had been so long ago, when in all reality, it had only been three weeks ago- twenty one days.

The attack was eighteen days ago.

It felt so much longer than that, but Harry was reminded of the attack every time he went to change clothes, or go to the bathroom, or even move. Fading bruises, stitches, small abrasions, and scabs still covered his body from where the wounds were still healing.

"Sorry," Harry whispered, looking around for any water. Bruce was already ahead of him, though, and had a cup with a bendable straw ready for him to use.

Harry gratefully accepted the water, taking several sips and savoring the sweet liquid.

"It's alright, I know you were just trying to have a good day. Next time, though, let me know when you start experiencing so much pain, instead of waiting until the absolute last second, alright?" Bruce set the cup down on Harry's bedside table, and gazed at him with gentle eyes.

"Yeah, and again, I'm sorry for not telling you. I didn't want to ruin anyone's surprises," Harry apologized once more.

Bruce sighed, and grabbing a chair from the desk behind them, he took a seat besides Harry's bed.

"Harry," the doctor removed his glasses and rubbed a hand over his face. "You don't have to worry about ruining anyone else's surprises. Your health and safety is everyone's top priority right now, and we don't want to do anything, or have you do anything, that will possibly endanger that, okay?"

Harry gave a small nod without looking up at him.

"Harry, look at me buddy," Bruce's soft voice spoke. Sometimes, with how gentle the man sounded and behaved, it was hard to believe that he ever could turn into someone as loud and destructive as the Hulk. Not that Harry minded- he understood what it was like to have the small, outspoken part of you come out once in a while, despite whether or not you wanted it to.

"Look at me Harry," Bruce spoke again, voice a bit sterner this time. Harry tentatively raised his eyes to meet Bruce's, feeling his cheeks flush with embarrassment.

"I want to you repeat after me," Bruce started, voice back to it's mellow tone. Harry gave a short nod, indicating his compliance.

"'My health and safety is the most important thing to me, and I will not lie, hide or contort the truth to make others feel better,'" Bruce stated, maintaining eye contact with Harry the entire time.

"M-my health and safety..." Harry began, but he faltered. It was just a simple statement, so why couldn't he say it?

"That's it. Hard isn't it?" Bruce gave him a sympathetic smile. "But I need you to do it while maintaining eye contact."