XXVI

At first I was very cautious in how much I texted or talked on the phone with Dego, but eventually, I let my guard down and accepted his carefree and straightforward personality, talking on the phone several times a week, in between that time at work, and more frequently, spending time at his house.

I didn't tell my brother about any of it though, sensing he would not approve. Something about Dego I liked, and other things I distinctly disliked, but yet I still found myself attracted to him.

The first night after I replied to his text, he called me, and we ended up talking for a good two hours. Before he could ask me much about myself though, I wanted to get several things clear.

"Dego...I wanted to know though, just because I definitely don't want to get in between anyone, and I'm not accusing you, forgive me if it sounds like it, but you're not married or anything right?" I asked once they're was a lull in the conversation.

"Shit no, I'm not married, and I wouldn't be talking to you if I was," he said.

"Oh okay, I was just making sure...not that I'm saying you're trying to date me or anything...but..." I floundered trying not to sound stupid and failing.

"You're good. And whatever you're thinking yeah, I probably am."

I blushed at how direct he spoke.

Okay, so yes, he was trying to date me.

" So... I'm sorry if this sounds rude, but, why aren't you married? Honestly, you are pretty good looking, and you've gotta be...at least thirty five," I said lightly, in case it was a sensitive topic.

"Hey we're getting to know each other you might as well know about me, I ahh, I had a girlfriend for about 12 years, same girl, we lived together for most of my adult life, never got married never had any kids, she didn't want any but that always kind of bothered me because I would have loved to have kids, and after all those years we just decided to part ways, it wasn't some huge incident that ended it all, I don't know I guess we just weren't for each other."

"Ohh I see," I replied.

"So what about you? You ever have a boyfriend?" He asked.

"Um.... Honestly no, I've never had a boyfriend, I mean I've had crushes before but I wasn't allowed to date until I was 18, and ever since I was 18 I've lived out here in westcliff with my brother and all we do is work and stay at home so not exactly the best environment for meeting anyone, " I laughed.

"Yeah no kidding, " he agreed. "Hey, you should come by my place after work sometime we can have a beer."

"Oh...maybe... I don't really drink, but if you would just like to get to know each other that would be fun," I said cautiously.

"Of course, and don't worry, my brother or some of my other family is always over there if you are concerned about me being a serial killer," he joked. "Also my house is only a block from the restaurant. "

At first I had been wary of him, but the more I talked to him the more I realized I had, in a sense, judged a book by its cover. Something about his attractiveness and charming personality caused one to think that he was putting up a front, or made you suspect that he was the kind of person who was nice in public, but a jerk behind closed doors.

As I got to know him though, I came to see that that was just actually his real personality. He was nice. He was a gentleman. He loved people, he loved socializing, he was a stern boss, he wanted everyone's job to be done right, but he was never a jerk.

The first time I went over to his house, I left my brother with the impression that I would be staying at work longer than normal without actually saying it. I wasn't a liar.

I had also wondered previously if Dego's attraction to me was something he was planning on keeping between us or if he cared if anyone else found out about it. That afternoon my curiosity was satisfied.

" Avery, clean up this area and then close out this register, I don't have time because I have to clean up my tables," Angel ordered me.

"Okay," I said, shrugging. By now I was accustomed to Angel and wasn't much bothered by her.

It took me a good half hour to finish up, and just as Angel came up behind me and began barking out some criticism of me or my methodic pace, which she seemed to despise more than anything else about me, Dego came out of his office and came to stand on the other side of me, putting a hand on my shoulder.

"Ready to go?" He asked cheerily. He had arranged my schedule that day so that we got off at the same time.

Angel whipped her head around to stare at him.

"Who?" She asked with wide eyes and her mouth slightly open. Dego was already walking away though.

"Grab your coat, let's go, my brother is going to drink all the beer. "

I laughed quietly and shut the register drawer, grabbing my things from underneath the counter and turning to follow him.

"Have a good evening Angel," Dego called over his shoulder, half turning to let me go in front of him, and putting a hand on the small of my back to direct me towards the double doors.

"Thanks," she ground out through clenched teeth.

I let myself smile freely once we had left the building. So not only was Angel properly destroyed, Dego didn't seem to care if she knew we were spending the evening together, which I considered a good sign. If he was planning on murdering me, he wouldn't want anyone to know we had been together.