Chapter 65

"But they're from the Class Killer!" I whisper so harshly, like whipping the air.

"I know."

"You know?" I'm gobsmacked, I don't know what to say.

"Don't give me any dirty looks before you know the whole story."

"I don't – are you the Class Killer?"

"What? No," he says, shaking his head exasperatedly like I'm not understanding enough.

"Then you knew what was going to happen at formal – you knew and you didn't care that my friends could get hurt."

"You weren't supposed to be there."

"Like that makes a difference? That's why you pulled me away... to the other side of the room. That was all a distraction?"

"No – yes... but I meant everything I said."

I can't think about his confession now. "Why me?"

"The Class Killer has a plan for you."

"You speak about him like he's God."

"He helped me see things clearly, you don't understand-"

"Are you fucking mental? He's a murderer!" I snap, and I'm starting to lose any composure. "So this whole time... you've been working for him this whole time? That's why you came back here? That's why you stayed at Ben's and became a coach?"

"I had to get close to you," he reaches out to comfort me but I stand back.

"Don't – you..." I scramble for words, completely and utterly lost. "This doesn't make sense... all of that was an act?" I knew it was weird someone as handsome and well known as Callum Caver would ever have any interest in me. I should've known from the beginning something was off about him.

"It wasn't an act –"

"Don't! Don't lie to me now. You've been lying to me ever since you met me."

"I had to."

"Don't you fucking understand? The police think I'm connected to him because of those letters – I'm a fucking suspect because of this. People are dead because of him!"

"What do you mean you're a suspect?" Callum asks, suddenly not acting tough.

"Oh, you didn't know that the police took me to the precinct for fucking hours after the bomb? You didn't hear that Officer Taylor came back, and this time he was armed and almost succeeded?!" I don't mean to let it all out, to scream it at him, even though the street is practically empty, it is lined with full restaurants. His eyes widen at my tone, taking in everything I said.

He didn't know that. "But we dealt with him," Callum says, more trying to convince himself.

"Not enough," I say, and a silent tear runs down my cheek.

"Jade," he says softly, gently, reaching out for me again as if to cup my face in his hands.

But I push him away. "I should – I should report you..." I run my hands through my hair. "You're part of his –"

"I'm not part of it. My only job was to protect you."

"Why are you telling me this now?"

"I needed you to know the truth before I left – before he tells you."

"I can't even look at you anymore," I say, gritting my teeth.

He looks upset. I'm not sure if he's upset with my response, or with the truth of his own actions.