ALLEGRO - STAVE XII

S T A V E

XII

A romp. A chase. New York captured. The Rebels driven north, then back across the river. Back over again for a landing at Kip's Bay. The Yankees run. No one runs like an American. Run you into the ground chasing him. Better than a ball through the head. Sometimes they stand, and stand quite well, but are always overwhelmed. "Old men, Negroes, Mulattoes and silly farm boys who don't know noth'n," Tim would often say, a typical private's stance. "Why not shoot them in the head? Rats in an alleyway. America breeds them. Washington grabs a sack and hauls them in. They snipe at us, cry for Mercy, then take off giving us the Finger. I could kill them all day."

A different thought in officers' circles. "A tweedledum business," Clinton had said. "All this 'Bo-peeping' with no clear End."

At one point, Congress did come to the table – a clandestine meeting, curiously, reluctantly. Adams, Franklin and John Rutledge – their safety guaranteed over a breezy light supper of good bread, cold ham and a great deal of claret. Just them and Lord Richard Howe on the tip of Staten Island in an old stone house as dirty as a stable. All good politicians:

Lord Howe – "I cannot treat with Congress, which the government does not recognize, but I may with men of influence to convince the Colonies to return to their allegiance and when they have done so, his Majesty will cause all offensives of Parliament to be immediately revised."

Adams – "We are now the United States. Any dealings with Britain must be on equal footing."

Howe – "I have great affection for this country. Lord George gave his life here fighting for you against the French. Massachusetts loved him – his monument in Westminster."

Adams – "We prize your brother still, but that was then."

Howe – "If America should fail, I would lament it like the loss of a brother."

Franklin – "We will do our utmost to save your lordship from that mortification."

Howe – "I suppose you will endeavour to give us employment in Europe." Silence. "Understand that I can confer with you only as private persons and British subjects, not as members of Congress, and that I regret the policies that pulled us apart."

Adams – "Your lordship may consider me in what light you please, except that of a British subject."

Howe – "Mr. Adams is a decided character . . . His majesty's most earnest to make his American subjects happy and redress any real grievances. My powers are to restore peace and grant pardons, to attend to complaints and representations, and to confer a reunion advantageous to the Colonies and to Great Britain. We must put a stop to these ruinous extremities, as well for the sake of our country as yours. When America falls England feels it. You know gentlemen that we expect aid from America; our dispute seems only to be the mode of obtaining."

Franklin – "We've never refused the request for aid."

Howe – "Your money, I assure you, is the smallest consideration. America can confer more solid advantages: her commerce, her strength, her men we chiefly want."

Franklin – "Ay, my lord, we have in America a pretty considerable manufactory of men."

Howe – "Is there no way of treating back this step of independency and opening full discussion?"

Franklin –"America considers the Prohibitory Acts as the answer to her last petition. Forces have been sent out and towns have been burnt. We cannot expect happiness under

the domination of Great Britain. All former attachments are obliterated."

Rutledge "I think an alliance with the Colonies as independent States is worth consideration. England may still enjoy American commerce. The United States can protect West India more effectually and more easily than England can, to say nothing of the Newfoundland fishery; English merchants would continue to be enriched. Great Britain should consider the advantages she may derive from an alliance with America before anything is settled with other foreign powers, for to come again under the English Government is impossible. . ."

'Impossible – the man said,' was all the chinwag. Then let it be on their own heads. Battle on. What did the King's Men have to worry? Billy'll fight them smart. No useless loss with him. He'll keep them dry and well fed. No soldier better served than in Billy's army.