RONDO - STAVE LXX

S T A V E

LXX

M Y L O R D,

AS I find by your letters that De Grasse has got into the Chesapeake, and I can have no doubt that Washington is moving with at least 6000 French and rebel troops against you, I think the best way to relieve you is to join you, as soon as possible, with all the force that can be spared from hence, which is about 4000 men. They are already embarked, and will proceed the instant I receive information from the admiral that we may venture, or that other intelligence the commodore and I shall judge sufficient to move upon.

BY accounts from Europe, we have reason to expect Admiral Digby hourly on the coast.

I have the honour to be, &c.

H. C L I N T O N.

"Thank God," Cornwallis said after reading the letter to his aides. "Digby sailing from Europe – his squadron, with Graves and Hood, will have a decent chance this time. Gentlemen, I think it best we now stay. With a stronger fleet to engage the French and Sir Henry's relief coming to our aid, here will be the finale of the war. While De Grasse will be busy with our admirals, our combined force will engage the allies and defeat them with one final blow."

******************

"Things appear to be coming fast to a crisis," Clinton wrote to Lord Germaine after receiving progressive letters from Cornwallis. "We are therefore no longer to compare forces with the enemy, but endeavour to act in the best manner we can against them . . . With what I have, inadequate as it is, I will exert myself to the utmost to save Lord Cornwallis."

With Graves and Hood back in New York, Admiral Digby arrived with his fleet – three ships. Clinton called a council of war. Old General Robertson railed, "You must go no matter the risks." And read aloud Cornwallis' latest dispatch. "'If you cannot relieve me very soon, you must be prepared to hear the worst.' Need you more, Sir Henry? The man who deliberates is lost. America is at stake and Britain too." Admiral Hood sided with Robertson.

Clinton looked to Graves. What to do? . . . But wait – We can't – Not yet – Prince William Henry assigned to Digby as a Mid-Shipman sent to buoy up Loyalist Support. There must be Ceremonies and Reviews. Dinners, concerts and balls. Our hands Tied.

M Y L O R D ,

I WAS honoured yesterday with your lordship's letter of the 16th and 17th instant, and, at a meeting of the general and flag officers held this day, it is determined that above five thousand men, rank and file, shall be embarked on board the King's ships, and the joint exertions of the navy and army made in a few days to relieve you, and afterwards cooperate with you.

The fleet consists of 23 sail of the line, 3 of which are three-deckers. There is every reason to hope we start from hence the 5th of October. I have received your lordship's letter of the 8th instant.

I have the honour to be, &c.

H. C L I N T O N.

P. S. Admiral Digby is this moment arrived at the Hook with three sail of the line . . .

******************

Allied forces entered Williamsburg in excess of Clinton's report. Sixteen thousand to be exact, and combined with the troops of De Grasse and De Barre, over twenty thousand.

Cornwallis ringed Yorktown with earthworks and redoubts – two encompassing circles – the outer line a half mile out and the inner line four hundred yards closer. Defending the outer works would stretch him mercilessly thin. By the time Clinton arrives, there might be little of the army left to help him defeat the Allies. If he pulls back to the inner defenses, Washington will try to occupy the outer works with his batteries. Best to retain redoubts #9 and #10 near the bluffs on the left. The outer works are useless with these on their flanks. After all, Clinton is coming.