RONDO - STAVE LXVI

S T A V E

LXVI

"Virginia is not a Front," Sir Henry spouted in the presence of his aids. "I don't care what his opinion is. We're going to establish a base and rally Loyalists. Until I receive different from the Ministry, this is the Stratagem. New York is the Main of Operation. He is to raid and harass to take pressure off the posts in South Carolina, and he is to construct a naval base. This is Policy. We cannot afford another army chopped. The landscape's changing."

Never before had Clinton been frightened. He was now. His network of spies, penetrating Washington's command, reported a clandestine meeting between Washington and Rochambeau in Connecticut – another French squadron due with reinforcements. The siege of New York no doubt. And Cornwallis on a picnic.

Let him chase Lafayette then, but he doesn't need 8000 to do it. He doesn't care for Portsmouth. Alright, choose another.

And Sir Henry in his circuitous manner:

M Y L O R D,

I shall beg leave only to refer your lordship to my instructions to Generals Phillips and Arnold. I shall, therefore, of course, approve any alterations your lordship should think proper . . . The detachments I have made from this army into the Chesapeake, since General Leslie's expedition in October last, have amounted to 7,724 effectives; and since your lordship's junction with the corps of Major-General Phillips, I should have hoped would be sufficient to itself to carry on operations in any of the southern provinces in America . . . My present effective force is only 10,931. With respect to that, the enemy may collect an amount to at least 20,000, besides reinforcements to the French . . . Thus I am persuaded your lordship will be of the opinion to take a defensive station in any healthy situation you chuse (be it Williamsburg or Yorktown); and I wish, after reserving to yourself such Troops as you may judge necessary for an Ample defense, send to me: Two battalions of light infantry; 43rd regiment; 76th or 80th regiment; two battalions of Anspach; Queen's Rangers, cavalry and infantry; remains of the 17th light dragoons; and such proper artillery as can be spared, particularly men.

You will immediately embark part of the troops. –

H. C L I N T O N. 15 June, 1781

******************

Embark the Light Troops? A 'defensive station'? Where in all of Virginia is suitable for a defensive station? Why be in Virginia at all if you're not going to take it?

Cornwallis and his staff rode the fourteen miles from Williamsburg to Yorktown. Nowhere but here, after having considered other sites – their ports too shallow for Ships of War. He rode about unconvinced – this Tobacco Port on the York River.

"Is there anywhere else?" he asked Col. Simco of the Queen's Rangers as they stood on the one-hundred-foot bluffs above the river bank. A bustling town of two thousand with brick and clapboard homes, the more fashionable ones on the bluff, while along the waterfront were warehouses, wharves, drinking houses – 'York Under The Hill'.

"There are a number of points down river," Simco said. "A garrison could be moved there quickly from the village."

Cornwallis shrugged – a pleasant place for punishment. If that's what Clinton wants. He'll wait. Events change . . . And how they need to change. Sir Henry must go.

They rode back and struck camp. A letter came. Clinton wants more troops for a raid on Philadelphia. 'Send them off as soon as you can.'

Raid on Philadelphia? What the deuce is he talking about? He said he'd be under siege.

S I R:

The troops are perfectly ready, and will proceed to Portsmouth to await the arrival of the transports. I will give immediate orders about the artillery, stores, &c . . .But I must again take the liberty of calling your Excellency's serious attention to the question of the utility of a defensive port in the country, which cannot have the smallest influence on the war in Carolina, and which only gives us some acres of unhealthy swamp, and is forever liable to become prey to a foreign enemy, with a temporary superiority at sea. Expeditions in the Chesapeake may be undertaken from New York with as much ease and safety . . .

C O R N W A L L I S.

More letters. Letters upon letters.

M Y L O R D,

...If you have not already passed the James River, you will continue on the Williamsburg neck until the ship arrives with my dispatches by Capt. Stapleton. If you have passed, and find it expedient to recover that station, you will please do it, and keep possession until you hear from me. Whatever troops may have been embarked by you for this place, are likewise to remain until further orders; and if they should have sailed, and within your call, you will please stop them. It is the admiral's and my wish, at all events, to hold Old Point Comfort, which secures Hampton Road.

H. C L I N T O N.

M Y L O R D,

...you are at full liberty to detain all the Troops now in the Chesapeake . . . which very liberal concession will, I am persuaded, to convince your lordship of the high estimation in which I hold a Naval Station in the Chesapeake . . .

H. C L I N T O N.

Upon leaving Williamsburg for Portsmouth, Cornwallis went on a final Offensive, ambushing the forces of Generals Lafayette and Wayne at the Green Springs Plantation – a bloody rout in the typical Cornwallis fashion. Had he only pursued them with his superior force, he would've destroyed them in total. But no, he must follow Sir Henry's orders.

At Portsmouth, he sent Leslie south to command Charlestown. O'Hara now recovered and with a newly arrived replacement of Guards, was ordered to destroy Portsmouth's defensive works and evacuate the port. Cornwallis then, with the bulk of the army, invested Yorktown.