day three, indiana

jolyne had woken up to the soft sound of sam's hums. the car was moving and she had absolutely no idea where they were heading. her arms rose to stretch, now sam knew she was awake.

"good morning, sunshine. we just started our trip to indianapolis. we'll be in town in about three hours." jolyne nodded, closing her eyes again, hoping maybe she could fall back asleep.

the time was now around ten in the morning, maybe they had started late today. it wasn't unusual for sam to make a commitment just to break that just as fast as he started it. jolyne was used to his ways by now so she wasn't surprised.

"where do you think we're going, jolyne." she opened her eyes slightly, shifting her gaze over to her best friend in the driver seat. she didn't really thought about where they were going, she trusted sam on taking her to somewhere where she would be safe.

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

"sam, can you come pick me up?" jolyne whispered into her phone. it was almost two in the morning and sixteen year old jolyne was calling sam to save her from a high school party. sam had been knocked out for almost the last three hours. rubbing his brown eyes, he sat up.

"are you okay, joylne." panic was evident in his raspy morning voice. he was still trying to focus his eyes in the dark room. jolyne hesitated.

"i'm fine, for now at least, i think. it's just that alex has been drinking and i don't want to be around him right now." jolyne said shakily. joylne was dating a nineteen year old boy named alex, who sam really didn't like.

"i'll be there in a few minutes, go out to the front lawn." sam said, putting on his plaid pajama pants and a white shirt that were just laying on the ground, probably things that belonged in his hamper, but he didn't care right now. he walked down the creaky stairs, just to run into a very sleepy jake.

"where are you going?" his raspy voice was also very evident. sam's eyes squinted towards his older brother.

"jolyne needs me right now." sam turned away from jake, huffing a little in the process. sam was very much not a morning person, but he'd do anything for jolyne.

"did she finally break up with alex?" jake asked a bit hazy. it looked like he was standing there sleeping. his eyes were completely closed, sam could be gone and he wouldn't know because his eyes were closed, but yet he was semi aware of the situation.

"i don't know, i don't think so. i wish she would. the scum is drinking right now and it's scaring her, so i'm going to pick her up." sam had just newly turned seventeen and he hadn't had his license all that long, so the car wasn't exactly always his. he shared it with the twins, and the rule was he always had to ask one of the twins before using the car. he figured since this would be considered an urgent matter, he thought leaving unannounced wouldn't matter in the long run to jake or josh, they would understand because it involved jolyne.

"be safe out there, please." jake mumbled before walking back into the room he shared with josh. sam nodded his head in the direction of his brothers' room before opening the front door and walking out to the small yellow car that he ended up sharing with his older brothers.

the short ride to the local frat house seemed so long. sam couldn't help to think about how alex would mistreat her sober, but couldn't fathom what he'd do to her drunk. he quickened the pace of the car to get there faster.