Chapter 25- The Returning Visitor

***

'She knows. The act is up.'

Scoffing, I threw the diary to the side, going to sit on the bed beside her, staring at my wife who had fallen asleep, breathing lightly, and refusing to let her hand leave her stomach. I looked at her stomach, placing my own hand on her womb, wondering where to move forward from here.

There's no going back now, I can stop the act, but who knows what will happen to our relationship now? What if the love she had for me before now completely vanishes? What am I supposed to do if she wants to leave me?

I can't live without her anymore. I don't remember how.

But now that the act is up, I'm worried about Alvise. What if he goes out of control again? I'm never able to do anything to hold him back.

"...Evan?" I jumped, surprised.

Turning to see Alina waking up from her sleep, tiredly yawning, I couldn't hold back the small smile that crept onto my face. Brushing her hair back, I leaned down to place a light kiss against her forehead, breathing in her calming scent.

"Go back to sleep, flower. We'll properly talk when you wake up," I whispered.

"Are you Alvise or Evan?" She yawned.

I blinked, never having imagined that I would hear this question from anyone, let alone my wife. It was a simple question, but it hit me with the realisation that I wasn't just me, this body wasn't just mine, but someone else's too, and Alina knew this now.

"Evan," I simply replied. "I'm Evan. Your Evan," Smiling, I lightly pecked her lips before getting up, pulling the blanket to cover her up properly.

"Now, go back to sleep. You're tired," I instructed, and instead of replying with words, she closed her eyes once more, turning to get comfortable as I left to go to the closet, picking out a simple pair of boxers and sweatpants before making my way to the connected bathroom.

I was lucky to have been gifted with such a perfect wife, I never once thought that she would take the news of my split personality so well.

But, maybe the change in our relationship won't be so bad? I can only hope so.

As I finished showering and shaving the little stubble that I had on my face, I wrapped the towel around my waist, opening the bathroom window to let the steam go away, making my way back into the closet where I put my clothes on.

Entering the bedroom, my eyes glanced over my sleeping wife, the room being submerged in darkness if not for the single table lamp that was on, casting an orange glow throughout the room.

As long as Alvise behaves himself, I'm sure everything will be okay.

Picking the diary that rested on the cabinet up, I got the pen, going to write under his handwriting that informed me of the fact that Alina now knew our secret.

'Don't let her see anything else in this diary. I'll be the one to tell her everything, and if you come out, don't act too much yourself or she'll really run away,'

It wasn't possible for anyone to know better than me that Alvise wasn't normal. While I had a split personality, his personality was psychotic. He was created to protect me, and although he did just that, he didn't do it in ways that would be expected. 

He was what anyone would call a monster, and he knew that, and he liked it.

Closing the notebook, my fingers ran over the leather material before I breathed out a deep sigh. Even though Alina had seen the contents of the notebook, there is no way that I could let her see it again.