Chapter 44- The Son of a Psychopath

***

"You... What are you doing here?" Her eyes that used to look at me with love, filled with innocence and curiosity, shining brighter than the stars, no longer did that. They were hollow voids of violet now, living for nothing but her child.

But I was okay with that. As long as she continues to stay by my side.

"I'm here for you, of course. What else?" I smiled an innocent smile before turning to look at the two policemen whose flashing car was starting to give me a headache.

"If you are done with your investigation then please get lost. The sun is setting, and I wish to go sleep with my wife," The two men jumped at suddenly having all the attention on them, and without another word, they rushed back into the car.

"No, what about the detective? What did you do to him?" She spun around, glaring up at me with shaky eyes that begged me to say that I hadn't done anything too bad.

"Something deserving for a man that dared to trespass," I vaguely replied, taking a step closer to her, my arms linked behind my back, and she flinched at my words, realising that she had gotten her hopes up for nothing.

"How much worse will you get? As a husband, as a father, and as a Duke... How far will you go with this unhealthy obsession of yours!?"

I looked behind her at all the security guards that littered the area and they didn't need to be asked twice to spin their heads around and walk away to where they could no longer hear a single thing, even if Alina continued to shout at me.

"As far as I must go," I replied.

"How did you even know I was here?" She sighed, exasperated. "You sounded really angry before when you were in the room,"

"That was because I was... Until I went outside," I shrugged.

"I don't-"

"As a man that's sinned quite a lot, I need to know the basics before I commit any unlawful acts. And darling, you aren't very good at fooling me, although I will admit that you had succeeded for a few minutes," I rolled my eyes.

She didn't say anything, but the curious look in her eyes told me to continue.

"It was raining until an hour ago so the ground is still wet. The patch of land under our balcony isn't concrete, but dirt, meaning if you had left the room then there would have been some footprints, but there was nothing,"

Her eyes narrowed into a glare as I chuckled.

"Did you kill him? The detective. Alvise, tell me,"

"And if I say I did?"

"Then I will never forgive you. If I can't bring justice to the victims then the least I can do is divorce you, and I will take Elio with me. And I will burn this whole estate down to the ground, and then I'll murder you myself!" What had started out as a whisper, elevated until she was shouting so loudly, her voice shook, and her body trembled.

And I cocked my head to this side, blinking, the nonchalant look on my face slowly slipping away until all that was left was an amused smirk which I raised my hand to partly cover.

"He's alive," I whispered out.

"...What?" She blinked, breathing heavily.

"But not for long. He'll die soon..." My hand fell down beside me, my tongue running over my lips as I thought back to that joyful memory. Of course, it was more painful than usual because my victim this time was a trained detective whom I had to fight despite all my wounds. But I've got to say, it was all worth it.