Chapter 29- Only One Duchess

***

"Pardon? You want me to come with you?" She asked.

"Don't say it like that. I'm not asking you out on a date," I rolled my eyes as she blushed, embarrassed, before quickly nodding her head.

"I need you to come in case something happens with Elio, you are his nanny after all... I should take him to see his mother every now and then," Her lips parted as she understood.

"Then we'll leave in an hour. Get ready,"

And so, an hour later, I was sitting behind the steering wheel of my Mercedes, Irene and Elio sat behind me, Elio in his booster as he played with one of the many toys that I remember Alina buying for him while pregnant.

"How long has Alina been in a coma?" Irene asked from the back, and my brows furrowed in confusion at her question... Did she just call my wife Alina?

"It's either 'Mrs Moretti' or 'Your grace' to you. Alina is something that only her closest friends and family call her, and I don't believe you to be one of them," I looked at her surprised self through the rearview mirror, glaring at her annoying self in warning.

"Right, I'm sorry about that,"

"It better not happen again,"

"It won't,"

The rest of the journey passed by in silence except for the sound of Elio gurgling away as he clapped his hands, and threw his toy around the car like some drunk man, until the familiar sight of the luxurious hospital was seen.

"We're here," I stepped out of the car, going to open Elio's side of the door, and picking him up in my arms, closing the door before handing the keys to the waiting valet.

"I will park the car in your usual spot, and bring it out when you are ready," I nodded, going to head inside, but paused upon seeing Irene unmoving from her spot.

"Are you not coming?" I raised a brow.

"Oh, um... I'm just entranced is all, I've never been to a private hospital before,"

"You shouldn't expect anything less of a Duke. If my wife is ill then she will only get the best healthcare possible," I bounced Elio up and down in my arms as I spoke, the said child giggling in joy at the action.

"Then, are you sure you want me in the room with your wife there too?"

"Why not? Is there a reason you can't be in the same room as my wife? You make it sound as though you and I are having an affair behind her back," I scoffed, disgusted by the thought.

"No, of course not... Never mind, I'll come," I didn't waste any more time after that, and entered the hospital, not paying attention to whether she was even following me or not.

"Are you excited to see your mother again? When was the last time I brought you to see her? She must really miss you," I spoke to Elio as we stood in the elevator with him in my arms, fiddling around with the collar of my shirt.

I tried to bring Elio with me as many times as I could when I came to visit Alina, but his newborn sleeping schedule knew no bounds, and since it was so difficult to even put him to sleep, I didn't want to risk waking him up.

But today was a good day.

"Hello, Mr Moretti... Oh? I see you've brought the young Duke today too, Mr Aurelio has grown so much," The same old woman greeted as she always did, coming to poke Elio's cheek as he giggled at the nurse.

"We just finished cleaning the Duchess up today, she must be waiting for you," And I nodded at the woman, smiling a small, and thankful smile at her before going to enter the room.