10: clouds

I WAS A sneak

I WAS A sneak. He didn't even know what I had done.

His ring was back on his finger, and he hadn't noticed. At least, not yet.

He had glanced at me when I had held one of his hands in both of mine while walking, but other than that I don't think he suspected anything; therefore, I was a sneak. A very successful sneak.

It surprised me how fast it got dark around the spot he was taking me to, and although Atlas was letting me walk slightly ahead, he was still guiding me through it all.

While walking, however, I had felt him tug on my fingers and when I turned around- he was doing the same thing that I had been doing; retracing my footsteps essentially.

"What are you doing?" I had asked him softly, my brow dipping in confusion.

He had looked up at me, giving me a small shrug- as he stepped over another rock. "The same thing as you. Flat rocks?"

"Yeah," my frown had deepened, "Um, why though?"

He had shrugged again slightly. "You seem to be having fun with it."

I had given him a long look, tilting my head at him as he stepped on the one that my foot had been on a few seconds ago, until half of his front side was pressed against my back.

"Go on," he says, right next to my ear- giving me a little nudge to continue- his hand never leaving mine, "We're almost out."

Although my face turns a little red at the proximity, I pretend to be as unbothered as I can, tightening my grip on his hand for balance as I step on the next rock. "Really? How can you tell?"

He nudges my arm again, lifting the hand that wasn't holding mine to point at an opening in the clearing. "That's your street, isn't it? Carlston street?"

While I am surprised that we found our way back out this quickly, my face dims slightly. The fact that in a few days it wouldn't be my street anymore was starting to sink in.

It had been a little over a week since my parents told me that I had to move out, which meant I had less than two weeks to figure out my living situation. I had tried to actively avoid everyone at the place I once called my house, and surprisingly that was going pretty well so far.

"Um, actually," I tell him quietly, as he comes to stand beside me- looking down at me with a raised eyebrow, "I'm meeting someone at the coffee shop in the next street now."

Something in his expression darkens, his grip on my fingers tightening. "Oh?"

I nod. "Mr. Rossi. Something about tomorrow's auditions, probably."

Whatever it was that I thought I saw on his face disappeared so quickly that I wonder if I imagined it in the first place.

"And um, thank you," I say when he doesn't say anything, "for taking me to the spot."