Part 12

Chapter 12:

The next couple of days were the same: everyone talking about Lissa as if she were a celebrity. I learned to ignore the conversations buzzing throughout the school. I was tired of hearing about what Lissa's choice in clothing was today, what she would think if a Moroi had cut her hair. Reluctantly Sunday came. I rolled out of bed, slipping into simple clothing after taking a quick shower.

My long dark hair clung to my face as I briskly paced across the grounds towards the Academy's chapel. As usual I had arrived before anyone else. I took my rightful place in the back, not wanting to be bothered by the other guardians or students.

A while later the students, teachers and guardians alike piled into the chapel. I caught sight of Rose amongst the sea of moving heads. And quickly averted my eyes, I had to stop feeling like this around her. The day I had first touched her hair had been a huge mistake. I should have never done that, considering the penalties for a teacher to fall for a student. But it was so hard not to notice Rose. The way she moved when she fought, the way her hair always seemed to fall perfectly into place and the feel of that dark hair between my fingers... Damn it.

I looked down at my hands, the ones that had so gently touched Rose's hair. I had never known them to be capable of being so gentle. For years I had looked down at my hands and only saw destruction and death. The many faces of Strigoi that I had killed, the hard calluses that formed from years of training. Not once in my life had I known them to be so soft. They were alien to me.

I had no idea what the priest talked about. I wasn't paying attention; I couldn’t seem to keep my mind off of Rose. The way her hands felt so right between mine. The way her hair had felt like silk. And my mind lingered on the day that I had laid on top of her in the gym. The feel of her body pressed up against mine felt so amazing and right. Rose was the first girl to make me feel this way. And I was scared. Scared of what would happen if I let our feelings get out of hand, afraid of losing control over her.

It was then that I had decided not to have feelings for her any longer. Rose needed to learn how to fight and I needed to learn how to control my feelings for her. I couldn't let that distract us, because if I did we would care more about protecting each other rather than Lissa. And that could get us all killed. No, I was no longer going to fall captive under these feelings. I was going to overcome them and ignore them as best I could. Which I knew was going to be a bitch.

Another week past of me struggling to control myself around Rose, I had found it easier to do towards the end of the week. I also took notice of Rose growing stronger and faster every day, I had never seen a novice progress so rapidly. I was proud of her for it, with her increasing capabilities we were able to move onto moves that other novices her age hadn't got the chance to learn yet. Although I didn't tell her, she gloats enough as it is.

As I waited in the practice room for her arrival, I couldn't help but notice how she was running later than usual. Which for once, I didn't mind. I needed the time to keep my ongoing feelings under control. Right as I finished she showed up, apologizing about being late. I accepted it as we got to work on new moves.

The next day as I was making my way across campus a low and weak voice called my name. I turned around and was met with emerald eyes. Victor. I bowed elegantly. "Prince Dashkov. What can I do for you?"

I politely nodded to his guardians, which were standing on either side of him, looking like statues as usual. Victor strode over to me slowly. His disease had really taken its toll on him, and my heart went out for him. It seemed like the worst things happened to the best people.

He placed a shaking weak hand on my arm. "I was heading to the Headmistress' office and am in need of some assistance."

I raised an eyebrow, curious as to what I was about to get myself into. I glanced up at the guardians but they, as usual, gave nothing away. My curiosity heightened as I glanced back down at the aging man in front of me. "Of course, what do you need?"

"Walk with me." Victor said as he turned away from me and started to walk towards the front of the school. But not before he was surrounded by his two guardians, one on either side, as if there were Strigoi lurking behind the tall trees. I quickened my stride to catch up to them, which wasn't a hard thing to do, considering my long legs.

Victor talked as if he had expected me to follow him. "I am taking Natalie off campus this weekend, to go shopping in Missoula. It's for the dance that is coming up shortly. And I'm taking Vasilisa along. As her future guardian I was going to assign you to her when we reach the mall."

None of this had made sense to me. "Then why do you need to go to the Headmistress' office?" I asked as I glanced around the campus for any threatening signs of danger. Unsurprisingly there were none.

The office came into view as he said, "Vasilisa had requested to bring two friends along. Camille and Rose, and considering Rose's probation I need to talk to the Headmistress in order for Rose to come along. And having you there will help."

One of his guardians opened the door, letting us through before closing the door behind him. The lady at the front desk seemed shocked to see all of us standing in the small room, as Victor strode up to the doors that led to Kirova's office. Not even bothering to check in. His guardians followed, shrugging my shoulders I brought up the rear.

Kirova sat at her desk as usual, and looked up at us through her glasses, not at all surprised that we had barged in without making an appointment. I was used to the unsurprising look Kirova gave me whenever I appeared in her office un-notified.

Victor announced Lissa's request, and to my surprise Kirova didn't get angry at all. As he explained I stood there thinking of how I could convince her to let Rose go with us. Rose needed time off, and I knew I couldn't teach her everything in a gym. She had to get out in the real world and experience it like a real guardian. Every novice should have this chance, but sadly they don't. And I was willing to give Rose that chance; she needed to learn how the real world works. And not just from behind a bunch of wards and guards.

Kirova looked at me after Victor's explanation, her eyes colder than usual. "I don't see why I should let Rosemarie leave the campus, she doesn't deserve to after that stunt she pulled a couple years ago."

I took a step forward, putting myself in between her and Victor, full of determination. "Rosemarie needs a training exercise."

Kirova raised an eyebrow at me as her long fingernails tapped on the wooden table, making me nervous. "Care to elaborate Mr. Belikov?"

Here was my chance. I took a deep breath and swallowed whatever fear had risen up in me. "She needs a break from training in the gym; she has excelled in her combat skills, and is far ahead of her classmates now. There's not much to teach inside a gym Miss. She needs to learn how to protect a Moroi outside of the wards. I am willing to take full responsibilities of her actions, and am willing to suffer the consequences."

The sound of having the opportunity to punish me when we got back made Kirova perk up. "Really? Since when did a guardian take full responsibility for one Academy student?"

I cleared my throat, I can’t afford to get nervous now, I wasn’t about to let Rose down. "Rosemarie is my student until she graduates, please Headmistress, Hathaway needs this. It will teach her discipline."

The last sentence caught her off guard. I knew then by saying this, she couldn't possibly resist to letting Rose go. I had done it on purpose and I was proud of it.

She sat there for a moment, considering the consequences of letting Rose go shopping. At last she spoke. "Alright Belikov, but if anything happens and Rosemarie suddenly disappears with Lissa I'm blaming it on you." She pointed a long skinny finger towards my direction.

I nodded the door behind me opened and I turned to see Victor and his guardians leaving the room. I turned to follow them, and spun around to face Kirova, smiling as her eyes met mine. "You won't be disappointed." And then I turned around, leaving that awful office.

*
*
*
*