Part 17

Chapter 17:

As Rose visited Lissa I continued down the twisting gravel path. The car was silent still with the only sound of the gravel being crushed by the wheels and the car's engine revving as I accelerated; I had no idea where Rose was taking us but-

An earth shattering scream rattled the car. I had been trained to not get caught off guard but since we had been in a car, where dangers were low, Rose's scream shocked me. My grip on the wheel jerked in surprise, making us veer. I casted her an alarmed look, and started to pull over. Maybe something was wrong if we--

"No, no! Keep going!" She pressed her palms to her temples. "We have to get there!"

From behind her seat Alberta reached forward and rested a hand on Rose's shoulder. "Rose, what's happening?"

I couldn't see her face, and I refused to. I didn't need to be an expert to know that she was on the verge of tears. "They're torturing her...with air. This guy...Kenneth...he's making it press against her... into her head. The pressure's insane. It feels like my--her--skull's gonna explode." Rose started to sob.

I looked at her out of the corner of my eye. Rose's crying was enough to tell me that it will get worse. I pressed the gas pedal down harder. We needed to get to Lissa fast, my instincts were burning through me, wanting to protect and kill any threats that were casted on Lissa. My heart quickened at the thought of losing another one of my Royal charges.

Rose was quiet after a moment, and I knew she was back in Lissa's head. I didn't like the fact that she pushed herself back in, it must hurt like hell, and she knew that. Yet she continued to stay with Lissa. And I praised her for that. She risked the pain just to make sure her friend was alright.

Victor didn't seem like the type to be doing this. What could he want with Lissa? What did she have to offer for him? He knew of Rose's capabilities didn't he? He had to know that we were coming. My mood grew darker and darker as we made our way to Victor's hideout. I should have seen this coming. Guardians were supposed to spot danger before it even happens. Although Victor was the last person anyone would suspect to do something like this. I swore in Russian, cursing Victor for what he has done.

We were a quarter mile from the cabin, Alberta made a call on her cell phone, and our whole convoy pulled over. All of the guardians--more than a dozen-- got out and stood huddled a little ways from the black SUV; we planned on hiding in the shadows of the trees--since the sun was out now--and move along them. Once we were close enough we would break into the cabin, four or five guardians will guard the doors and windows. While the rest circled the cabin, in case anyone tried to escape.

Someone went ahead to scout and returned with a report on the number of people inside and outside of the cabin. When the group seemed ready to disperse, Rose started to get out of the car. Seeing the determination in her eyes and the tense muscles under the jacket I had given her made me stop her.

"No, Roza. You stay here."

"The hell with that. I have to go help her."

I figured that the only way she'd listen to me was if I were to show somewhat of my affection for her. I cupped her chin with my hands, fixing her with my eyes. "You have helped her. Your job is done. You did it well. But this isn't any place for you. She and I both need you to stay safe."

She nodded, understandment hinting in her eyes. I nodded back, and as I joined the others I found myself relieved that she finally obeyed a command that I had given her. Quickly enough we slipped off into the woods, blending with the trees.

We moved swiftly through the overgrown forest. Making sure we moved with the trees and stayed in the shadows. None of us talked as our feet padded against the earth. We traveled with light feet, silent as a group of twenty could be. Alberta and I had the lead, and separated into two groups as mine went around--at a safe distance--to circle the cabin.