Part 15

Chapter 15:

I hadn't hesitated for a second when Rose told me where Lissa would be. I grabbed Alberta along the way and we barged through the Chapel. Luckily for us the priest wasn't there as we descended up the stairs. After a minute or so we found an unconscious Lissa lying on the dusty wooden floor. I picked her up and felt something wet and warm on my hands. I looked down and saw a red liquid sprayed all over them. Panicked I quickened my pace, making Alberta practically run to match my long stride.

I had no idea if Lissa was alright but her bleeding had convinced me that she was far from it. When we burst through the doors of the clinic a furry arose, everyone wanted to keep Rose out of it. So they sat her in the waiting room. Which Rose strongly disliked, telling by the hard set line of her mouth and the hatred in her eyes.

As soon as they gave Lissa a room they had a feeder on hand, rousing her enough to consciousness to drink proved difficult. I stayed outside of Lissa's room, determined not to leave until she was announced alright. It wasn't until the middle of the Academy's night that someone decided that she was stable enough for Rose to visit her. It was then that I left, wanting to give the girls private time together.

I walked home that night thinking about what had happened before the doctor had walked in. Never before had I had these sort of feelings for someone. Rose was beautiful, and she knew it too. The way her hair fell just right was enough to make my heart race. It shocked me how I so easily accepted these feelings, I wanted to shut them out, shut her out. But I couldn't find myself to do that. And that scared me.

It scared me because I knew the consequences of a teacher liking a student. Let alone a minor. And no matter how hard I tried I couldn't seem to stop the feelings from pouring out of me. I had gained some control but it wasn't enough. As I lay in bed that night I had finally decided what was best for her and me.

I would no longer look at her in the same way. If I let her love me it would distract her from her training and I couldn't let that happen. Rose needed to graduate, to pass her spring trials. And in order to do that she needed all the help she could get from me. And if that was the case it meant that I had to stop whatever attraction that had built between us. I knew it was going to be hard, but I had to do it.

I fell asleep dreaming about Rose. Hoping that it would be the last time I did. But in the back of my mind I knew that wasn't ever going to happen.

They released Lissa the next morning on the condition that she came back for daily visits to the counselor. I had met Rose that day and told her that they had also planned on putting her on some medication that would help with her depression. I could tell by the look on her face that she didn't like the idea of her friend having depression.

As I walked around the Academy I had learned that a sophomore had been in the clinic for an asthma attack. He'd seen Lissa come in with me and Alberta. He hadn't known why Lissa had been admitted, but that didn't stop him from telling people what he'd seen. I had also heard whispers that Lissa had refused to talk to Rose.

I could feel the shift of mood as I made my way across campus, it seemed like everyone had turned their backs on Rose to worship Lissa. I found it ridiculous that the whole school turned against Rose so quickly. As if Lissa were their queen and they did everything she did. I assumed it must have something to do with the compulsion, but I wasn't sure.

The rest of the week remained the same. Everyone looked at Lissa as if she were a Goddess; while they looked at Rose like something that had stuck to the bottom of their shoe.

The dance came the following weekend. And I couldn't help but wonder if Rose was going to go. Surely she would, she loved the dress so much. I hoped she wouldn't let the money go to waste. But Rose was unpredictable these days.